Sing, Sing a song

Local karaoke bars provide oppertunity to showcase talent

How many people can rap like Sean “Puffy” Combs? How many people attempt to do so when stuck alone in their car in rush hour traffic? But, how many people would get up in front of a crowded venue and attempt to do so? The answer is, very few, unless perhaps fueled by a series of margaritas or some other form of mind-altering drugs. This oh-so-familiar form of embarrassment, also known as karaoke, can be rather amusing though, once those initial feelings of self-consciousness are overcome.

The word “karaoke” is a Japanese word, made up of the abbreviations of the Japanese words for empty, “karappo” and orchestra, “okesutura,” hence directly translating to “empty-orchestra.” This is due to the fact that unlike most music, which is recorded with vocals as well as instrumentals, karaoke is recorded solely with the instrumentals.

A widely recognized Japanese legend, suggests that karaoke originated in a snack bar located in Kobe City, in the Kansai region of Japan. The owner of the snack bar frequently hired local bands and vocalists to perform at his restaurant. However, when these individuals were unable to make their scheduled appearances, the owner had guests sing along to pre-recorded instrumental tapes he had set aside for such situations. Gradually, karaoke gained appreciation from the town locals and became a favored form of entertainment, eventually spreading to other parts of Japan, and ultimately, the world.

This widely accepted past-time has been especially well-integrated into the American culture. As a result, is possible to find a restaurant or bar on any given night, in multiple cities, including Dallas, that offer people the chance to get up and sing to an “empty orchestra.” Although it can be rather uncomfortable at first, it provides as a great form of relaxation and stress- release according to the Japanese. So the next time studying for that excruciating mid-term or writing that never-ending 16 page essay proves facetiously overwhelming, why not opt for a song or two at the local karaoke bar? The Japanese definitely aren’t suffering from it.

Some places to check out:

Alley Cats
2019 N. Lamar, West End
214-720-0170 | 8:00-2:00

Humperdinks
I-75 & Campbell, Richardson
214-720-0170 | 9:00-1:00

Lena’s
NW HWY & Lemmon Ave
214-351-0215 | 9:00-2:00

Scooters
N.W. Hwy & Saturn
972-864-1063 | 9:00-2:00

Starbucks
3036 Mockingbird
214-691-2484 | 7:00-9:30
Fridays