Track and field sprints to the championship

The SMU track and field team will compete in the Conference USA Indoor Track and Field Championship at the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Ala. this weekend.

The Mustangs will be competing in distance, sprints, throws and high jumps. The preliminary events — pentathlon and heptathlon events — will begin at 9 a.m. CT on Saturday. The field events will follow, at 10 a.m. The heptathlon 60-meter hurdles, pole vault and the 1,000-meter run kick into action on Sunday at 10 a.m. Shot put sets the championship field at noon and running events continues at 2 p.m.

The final awards presentation will conclude the championship at 5:30 p.m. The No. 5 UCF Golden Knights are also headed to the championship looking to take a Conference USA title for the fourth time in a row. They conquered almost every event and came out in first place last year in both the indoor and outdoor championships.

The Mustangs also succeeded in the distance medley relay with a time of 11:37.87.

The Tulsa Golden Hurricanes will be competing to improve on last year’s runner up for both men and women. All 12 member teams of the Conference USA will be competing for the women’s first place title

FOX Sports Network will televise the championship on a tape delay and live results will be posted at the C-USA Championship Central.