Student fashion plays major role on Boulevard

Fraternity and sorority life plays a major role in the Boulevard fashion scene.

Fraternity and sorority life plays a major role in the Boulevard fashion scene. (The Daily Campus)

While most college football games revolve around truck tailgates and T-shirts sporting the school mascot, SMU’s fall game days run in a league of their own.

But at SMU, cookouts only happen after group brunches out at Dallas’ best patio restaurants, and the celebrations really do become all-day events that can span much of the city itself. Boulevarding – the only term students and alum alike will use for football festivities – takes over the entirety of Bishop Boulevard and Dallas Hall lawn, transforming the main stretch of campus into something more of a runway than anything else.

The first home game at any university is typically the one with the highest anticipation. At SMU, this game is taken up a notch and it’s the inaugural boulevard fashion show of every year.

Girls tend to wear breezy white sundresses with sandals or wedges, (or, if showing off Texas pride, even cowgirl boots). For those who want to step a little more out of the box, high-waist vintage cutoffs are seen more and more, complete with lace details or metal embellishments, and paired with detailed white tanks, crop tops, sheer layered blouses. Favorite shops seem to be Michael Kors, Free People, Tory Burch, select pieces from NastyGal and Topshop, and almost anything from Nordstrom or Neiman’s.

Bags are also crucial, especially in terms of size. No one wants to lug around a bulky shoulder satchel, so most opt for a lightweight cross-body bag (such as the smaller Marc Jacobs leather styles) or an even smaller designer wristlet (with a special place for one’s phone, of course). Sunglasses are also a must, and Ray Ban aviators still reign supreme for most.

Guys, on the other hand, fall into a slightly wider range of preferred boulevard apparel. Some stick with their typical shorts, polos or tees, while others step it up a few notches. Some sport khakis, bow ties, and collared shirts that show a clear affection for their university colors. Boat shoes are a big trend, and most SMU guys can be identified by their croakies.

Impeccable outfits are paraded up and down the boulevard and shown off at Greek tents so much so that game days have become a fashion haven for many legitimate and aspiring fashion photographers in Dallas. Local fashion blog of D Magazine StyleSheet is known to be on campus for several of the home games, on the hunt for the trendiest moments and close-ups of unique accessories. Flash photography-the service used for many campus events and organizations-is always there to catch photos and provide permanent evidence of the best ensembles of the day.

Knowing all the photo ops around, students never fail to dress to their absolute best.