Engineering senator resigns

With less than three weeks of the semester under its belt, Student Senate is already off and running.

In its first legislative meeting of the year, Senate tackled issues including open positions, allocating money to the sailing club and the on-campus events that will be held in remembrance of Sept. 11. Harder than all the policy making was the struggle over whether a veteran senator would remain.

Engineering Senator Sean Camarillo’s ability to attend Senate’s weekly meetings was threatened by his class schedule. Sitting on senate since his sophomore year, Camarillo, now a senior, helped implement the new senate structure, creating three new positions this year. He was also instrumental in streamlining meeting procedure.

When his absence request was not approved, a motion to overturn by Dedman II Senator Asad Rahman attempted to keep Camarillo in his senate position by excusing his weekly absences. A split senate discussed the issue for almost an hour.

Wanting to avoid further conflict, Camarillo resigned from his position before a decision could be reached, leaving now two senate positions open in the engineering school.

“It was sad to see such a dedicated and hard working senator leave,” Rahman said. “Often his work went unnoticed and unrewarded. It’s a loss for the engineering school.”

Engineering senators aren’t the only ones missing from senate. Senate positions are also open to both the Meadows School of the Arts and the Cox School of Business.

Each school has one vacant seat. Applications are available in the Student Activities Center and are due 5 p.m. on Monday.

Senate is also accepting applications for all senate committees, the diversity chair, first-year class council and president, assistant comptroller and ad designer.

“This year’s membership theme is ‘Get Involved, get solutions’,” said membership chair Lyndsey Hummert. “Getting involved in the Student Senate is a great way to get solutions and have your voice heard through legislation writing and debate. Senate members can make an evident and immediate difference for each of the individual schools and for the entire SMU community.”

While senate had to deal with unexpected concerns in its first meeting, other agenda topics had been more expected.

The first anniversary of Sept. 11 is fast approaching and event planning to commemorate the tragedy is already underway. A Sept. 11th Remembrance and Rededication Committee, which consists of various administrators, worked over the summer to organize events for the university.

“The committee wanted to make the day community-friendly and the events something representative of all cultures and backgrounds because Sept. 11 affected the university in so many ways,” said Student Body Vice President Britt Moen who also served as the committee’s student representative.

The Sept. 11 events will include a candlelight vigil, a volunteer fair and prayers throughout the day.

“Our University was phenomenal with its reaction last year as well as supporting students,” Moen said. “The committee wanted to offer that same comfort this year.”

In other business, a request was submitted by the sailing club to the senate finance committee asking for $17, 740 that would be allocated toward boat repairs, safety equipment and two new boats. After reviewing the request, the committee recommended that Senate fund the club $1,010 for repairs and safety equipment.

The issue will be revisited and voted on at next week’s senate meeting.