Cowboys take on rival Eagles for chance in playoff hunt

While Cowboys fans might be hanging their heads after last week’s loss to the division rival Redskins, they can relish an opportunity to kick another rival opponent, the Philadelphia Eagles, while they are down.

Both teams come into this week 13 matchup limping, but with a win against the woeful Eagles, the Cowboys would be at .500 with a 6-6 record and still in the playoff hunt.

Currently tied for second in the division with the Redskins, Dallas is only one game out of the wild card race behind three 6-5 teams.

On the other hand, the Eagles may be the league’s most disappointing team this year.

After starting the season 3-1, Philly is looking to avoid an eight-game losing streak that would be the team’s longest in 44 years.

Rookie quarter back Nick Foles will likely make his third start as Michael Vick still suffers from a concussion received in these teams’ last matchup.

Vick headlines a cast of former Pro-Bowlers, including LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson, who all will likely sit out Sunday night’s game.

Last year’s Pro-Bowl defensive end Jason Babin was cut earlier this week as the Eagles might be preparing to clean house.

Even without injury, none of these players were headed to Honolulu this season.

Dallas has plenty of injuries on its side as well.

The Cowboys team is without Bruce Carter for the rest of the year after the second-year player dislocated his left elbow last week.

Carter had been playing well in his replacement role for Sean Lee, who suffered the season-ending big toe injury earlier this season.

On the offensive side of the ball, the Cowboys desperately need to get DeMarco Murray back into the lineup.

Murray was limited in practice, his first practice since spraining his left foot on Oct. 14.

The Cowboys currently rank last in the league with 78.7 rush yards per game.

Dallas will look to take its anger out on rookie Foles this week after another rookie, Robert Griffin III, demolished Dallas’ defense last week.

However, the Cowboys have struggled mightily in the team’s last four games at its $1 billion home stadium. They have faced deficits of 24, 23, 13 and 25 in those weeks.

It’s hard to imagine the defeated Eagles bringing forth much of an effort, but with the Cowboys’ inconsistencies at home, it’s not hard to imagine Dallas playing down to its opponent.