Alumni players take their talents to the NFL

After the “death penalty” of 1986 shut SMU’s football program down, it has been working hard to regain footing at the top.

When SMU football’s knight in shining armor, June Jones, took over the program in 2008, over 20 years after the days of The Pony Express, the Mustang Nation was reborn. In 2009 Jones snapped the 25-year bowl drought, claiming a Sheraton Hawaii Bowl Championship, and SMU was back to sending out draft picks.

Emerging from the 2009 season were SMU greats Emmanuel Sanders and Bryan McCann. With successful seasons under their belts, the two joined the NFL for the 2009-2010 season.

Sanders, a wide receiver out of Bellville, Texas, found himself with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being drafted in the third round. As the 82nd pick, Sanders has been on the active roster for the Steelers for two seasons. Due to Hines Ward’s injury, Sanders had his first career start in the NFL on Sunday against the New England Patriots. By the end of the game Sanders recorded five catches for 70 yards.

Also making a statement in the NFL, Bryan McCann has been on an active roster since his stay at SMU. Although he left the Mustang football team in 2009, it wasn’t until 2010 when McCann signed as an undrafted free agent to the Dallas Cowboys. However, the Cowboys had to take a second look at McCann after releasing him after training camp in 2010.

After being released, McCann went on to sign with the Baltimore Ravens, to being released by the Ravens and re-signing with the Cowboys. The DB played down the road for a year before the Cowboys released him late September. During his time with Dallas, McCann made his presence known.

Not only did he break the record for the Cowboys longest interception return with 101 yards, but he was also named the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week during week 11 of the 2010 season. McCann is currently back with the Baltimore Ravens as an active member on their roster.

The 2010 season for the SMU Mustangs was also successful at creating future pro-football players.

Both Aldrick Robinson and Sterling Moore have found luck within the NFL.

After his final season with SMU in 2010, Robinson was selected as the 178th pick during round six of the 2011 NFL Draft. Known as the fastest player SMU head coach June Jones has ever coached, it is no surprise many say the Washington Redskins are lucky to have the wide receiver on their practice squad. During his time with the Mustangs, Robinson had the all time second highest touchdown reception for a game at SMU with 94 yards.

Robinson was also just the third Mustang to compile a 1,000-yard season and has tied the SMU single-season touchdown record.

Also displaying the strength of the Mustang on the NFL field is cornerback Sterling Moore. As an undrafted free agent, Moore signed with the New England Patriots and is currently on their practice team. Moore has seen reserve action on the turf during the Patriots victory over the Cowboys. Although he was only active for two days, Moore realizes what it takes to be successful.

“Working in the NFL is a lot more work than you would think. It takes a lot of studying and preparing because at the end of the day it’s your job, not just a sport,” said Moore.

By striving to reach his goals of getting back to the 53 man active roster, Moore is sure to be apart of NFL Sunday football soon.

“I was active for the Cowboys game and that was an unbelievable experience,” Moore said.

During his action against the Cowboys, Moore not only had a pass breakup but he also had a sack on back-to-back plays. Realizing that it is early in his career Moore isn’t stressing the small stuff. He plans to continue working even harder on the Patriots practice team to remind people he is not one to be overlooked.

It is easy to see that the NCAA “death penalty” that SMU was punished with over 20 years ago has lost its affect.

After two consecutive bowl game visits the Mustangs have no plans of slowing down now. As the SMU football program continues on in their success they are sure to offer more promising NFL prospects at the close of every season.

“Working in the NFL is a lot more work than you would think. It takes a lot of studying and preparing because at the end of the day it’s your job, not just a sport,” Moore said.

By striving to reach his goals of getting back to the 53 man active roster, Moore is sure to be a part of NFL Sunday football soon.

During his action against the Cowboys, Moore not only had a pass breakup but he also had a sack on back-to-back plays. Realizing that it is early in his career, Moore isn’t stressing the small stuff. He plans to continue working even harder on the Patriots practice team to remind people he is not one to be overlooked.

It is easy to see that the NCAA “death penalty” that SMU was punishe
d with over 20 years ago has lost its affect.