The audience listens to the engaging conversation of the panelists at the 2nd annual AAPI symposium.
AAPI symposium promotes allyship and community building
Grace Bair, Social Media Editor • April 26, 2024

Fashion Icon Halloween costumes

Associated Press

(Associated Press)

Rachel Zoe

Want a look this Halloween that’s absolutely bananas? Pull a few bohemian separates to replicate Rachel Zoe’s ‘70s-chic look this Halloween. For her casual daytime look, opt for a flowy peasant blouse, flared denim and a luxurious fur vest. Accessorize with a neutral, floppy hat and large sunglasses. Zoe is known for her bold accessories, so pair large drop earrings with stacks of rings. Zoe is also famous for her mess of blonde waves, which can be created with a big-barrel curling iron.

Twiggy

Channel your inner ‘60s mod queen by sporting a Twiggy costume this Halloween. If your style is bold, unique and youthful like Twiggy’s, this is the perfect costume for you. Twiggy revolutionized the world of fashion with her androgynous looks. Her gamine style can instantly be recreated with mod basics and bold makeup. Chose an A-line mini dress in a vibrant color or pattern with white knee-high socks or tights and go-go boots.

Aside from her distinctive style, Twiggy is also known for her signature makeup. To start, swipe a pale, matte shadow over the eye. Then, using black liquid eyeliner, create a cat-eye effect by lining the upper lid along the lashline. For the bottom lashes, simply draw on fake eyelashes with a thin tip liquid liner to recreate Twiggy’s doe-eyed look.

Twiggy always sported a short pixie haircut, made famous by Vidal Sassoon. Recreate that look by parting your hair to one side and teasing it at the crown.

Finally, add fun accessories black and white enamel bangles, retro-inspired hoop earrings and lots of groovy dance moves.

Anna Wintour

The editor-in-chief of American Vogue, Anna Wintour, is undoubtedly one of the strongest fashion icons of our time. Known for her eye for fashion trends and aspiring designers, as well as her icy demeanor, Wintour is recognized throughout the industry as a fashion authority.

Industry photographers are always capturing her outfits at fashion shows and charity events, so there are endless options in recreating Anna Wintour’s look.

Opt for a classic sheath dress in a rich color or vibrant print to channel your inner editor.

It’s all about pieces that look and feel expensive, even though they may not be either. Throw on a fur wrap or classic trench coat for added luxury, and sport a wig similar to Wintour’s trademark bob.

Add large dark sunglasses and a dazzling jeweled necklace for added extravagance and a thin black belt set high on the waist. Complete the look with a pair of trendy, extra-tall heels and a small designer clutch. Just remember not to smile!

Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn’s iconic, classic style is defined the 1950s. Her roles in movies like “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “Roman Holiday,” “Sabrina” and “Funny Face” provided an endless amount of inspiration throughout the years. Her collaboration with Hubert Givenchy introduced some of the most memorable movie costumes ever.

To be the charming Holly Golightly character in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” a little black dress is a must.

Accessories must include a strand of pearls, a glittering rhinestone tiara, black pumps and a long black cigarette extender. Don’t forget her subtle white coffee cup and croissant in a paper bag.

Hepburn’s character in “Funny Face” is a free spirit set loose in Paris. One of the most famous scenes is a dance sequence she performs in a shady pub. Wear simple black skinny jeans with a turtle-neck, long-sleeved shirt and simple black ballet flats.

Both looks would be complete with a chic and simple up-do or ponytail.

Karl Lagerfeld

Karl Lagerfeld is an undisputed fashion icon, reviving labels like Chanel, Chloé and Fendi. Lagerfeld’s trademark uniform is easy to replicate because it is simple, yet powerful.

The foundation of your costume is a tailored black suit. Layer a wide black or white tie over a high-collar button up shirt and finish with a pair of black leather boots.

Lagerfeld’s accessories are the most dynamic part of his look, so this is where originality comes into play.

Sport a pair of fingerless leather gloves, dark sunglasses, a jeweled brooch or tie pin and a stack of silver rings to complete the look.

Lagerfeld’s signature hair can be replicated with a long white wig, found in most Halloween stores. Another option would be to dust your own hair with a heavy dose of baby powder.

Even though the Lagerfeld costume is unique and easily identifiable, these black and white separates are easy to pull from any closet.

Tom Ford

This American fashion designer is notorious for his rugged looks and masculine style. Wear a sleek, form-fitting suit in dark hues like charcoal grey or classic black. Add a crisp shirt in a neutral color with the top few buttons undone. Complete this look with a folded handkerchief, cuff links and aviators.  

(Associated Press)