SMU pays tribute to Holocaust victims on 66th anniversary of Auschwitz liberation

“It is not enough just to remember what happened,” the Director of the Embrey Human Rights Program Dr. Rick Halperin said.

This was the theme of the International Holocaust Remembrance Day ceremony held at SMU on Thursday the 66th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

Dr. Halperin spoke at the event reminding attendees that they have a responsibility to the 11 million victims of the Holocaust.

He urged the audience to speak up, to educate others and to help protect the vulnerable.

“We have to give a voice to those who cannot, who are not allowed to, speak for themselves,” Halperin said.

Dr. Halperin used the words written on a plaque in a German memorial garden to sum up his message, “When you stand here, be silent. When you leave here, be not silent.”

After Dr. Halperin’s speech, Rabbi Heidi Coretz lit a candle for the next generation and led the audience in the Hebrew mourning kaddish.

The crowd at the Remembrance ceremony consisted of SMU students and faculty, community members and even some who had driven in from out of town to pay tribute.

Gil Amsellem and his friend, Brad Cooke, drove from Fort Worth to participate in the ceremony.

“I grew up in Israel. Anything having to do with the Holocaust we come out and support,” Amsellem said. “We obviously have strong ties to it.”

“It’s painful to remember, but we have to remember so it won’t happen again,” Cooke added.

Pictures from the Human Rights Program’s annual trip to Poland scrolled on a slideshow in the back of the room and candles were lit in honor of the victims.

SMU first-year and Human Rights minor Roman Stolyarov felt like the ceremony was the perfect balance of remembrance and moving forward.

“Despite the fact that I’m Jewish and I’m immersed in Jewish history and despite the fact that I’ve had numerous discussions with my family about this, I came and heard Dr. Halperin speak today and it still touched me,” Stolyarov said. “It is no absolution of guilt to be silent.”