Dallas dogs celebrate adoption,Valentine’s Day

The+Dallas+Animal+Services+and+Adoption+center%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9Cspokes+dog%2C%E2%80%9D+Grace%2C+sits+during+the+DASAC%E2%80%99s+second+annual+Valentine%E2%80%99s+Day+kickoff+adoption+event.++Grace+was+rescued+several+months+ago%2C+and+has+shown+marked+health+improvements+in+her+time+with+the+center.+
SARAH KRAMER/The Daily Campus
The Dallas Animal Services and Adoption center’s “spokes dog,” Grace, sits during the DASAC’s second annual Valentine’s Day kickoff adoption event. Grace was rescued several months ago, and has shown marked health improvements in her time with the center.

The Dallas Animal Services and Adoption center’s “spokes dog,” Grace, sits during the DASAC’s second annual Valentine’s Day kickoff adoption event. Grace was rescued several months ago, and has shown marked health improvements in her time with the center. (SARAH KRAMER/The Daily Campus)

A few months ago, the Dallas Animal Services Cruelty Investigation team found Grace the Great Dane starving to death in a crate that was too small for her.

Today, Grace has gained 53 pounds and shows off her newly painted red toenails and heart bandana in honor of Valentine’s Day.

More than 100 people and dogs joined Grace at the Dallas Loves Animals Valentine’s Kick-Off Event held by the Dallas Animal Services and Adoption Center Saturday afternoon.

Grace, the “spokesdog” for the event, “greeted” other dogs and shared her rescue story as other dogs came to take Valentine’s photos with their foster or adopted families.

Dallas city council member, Delia Jasso wanted to create an event to show that Dallas residents care about animals.

After already having a Christmas event where dogs could take a picture with Santa, Jasso wanted to expand photo opportunities for other holidays, encouraging people to adopt dogs.

Kathee Crough, a volunteer, said she would take photographs at the event. 

According to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), approximately three million to four million animals are euthanized a year. Sixty percent are dogs.

“The only way I thought I could make a difference was to take pictures to get people to adopt,” Crough said.

After watching so many dogs returning with their adopted families, Teresa Cleek, a supervisor at the Dallas Animal Center, wants to also include a St. Patrick’s day photo shoot.

“Seeing dogs come back, many who had been affected by cruelty cases, and are now looking great really encourages us to keep having these events,” Cleek said.

Although the Dallas Animal Center volunteers and staff were excited about seeing the costumed dogs, many people from the Dallas metroplex came out to adopt a new pet or just let their dogs mingle with other dogs.

Sam Childers and Jeff Hemphill adopted their dog, Delano, 10 years ago.

Outside of City Hall there was a table with dogs that were about to be put down.

That was when Hemphill and Childers decided to welcome Delano into their family.

With the first pretty and warm day in two weeks, Childers decided to “finally get out of the house and take pictures for Valentine’s Day.”

Beth Whitacre of Allen, Texas took the opportunity to adopt a puppy at the Valentine’s event.

The second dog for her to adopt, Whitacre chose a beagle mix and named her Dixie.

“I wanted to adopt a puppy anyways but I saw the article in the paper and decided to come out this weekend and take pictures,” she said.

Regardless of whether people came out to take pictures or adopt a dog, everyone enjoyed the pretty Saturday afternoon with their dogs.

“Dogs bring a lot of happiness to people,” Paul Fountain, an animal keeper for the City of Dallas Animal Services, said. “People are here today because they care—they really care.”