SMU women’s tennis trounces Bulldogs, 6-1

After a win over Louisiana State University last week, the No. 26 SMU Women’s tennis team claimed their fourth straight win Sunday at Turpin Tennis Stadium.

The Mustangs improve to 9-2 overall this spring season after their 6-1 victory over No. 60 Fresno State.

SMU displayed their early dominance in doubles competition, earning the doubles point in dramatic fashion.

Juniors Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova made quick work of Fresno State pair Marianne Jodoin and Bianca Modoc, 8-5 at the No. 1 line.

The Bulldogs got back in the thick of things after Laura Pola and Abby Haley took down the SMU pair of Kris Roberts and Shahzoda Hatamova, 8-4 .

However, Heather Steinbauer and Edyta Cieplucha clinched the doubles point for the Mustangs with a 7-4 come from behind win over Olga Kirpicheva and Melissa McQueen. The 80th ranked duo found themselves down 4-2 early but rallied to capture the final five points. Steinbauer and Cieplucha now hold an impressive 8-1 record this spring.

The Mustangs separated themselves from the Bulldogs in singles, taking five out of six matches.

No. 5 ranked Lesniak was off the courts first after her impressive 6-3, 6-1 victory over No. 99 Jodoin. This is Lesniak’s 12th win this season over a nationally ranked opponent.

Hatamova gave SMU a 3-0 advantage when she destroyed Kirpicheva 6-0, 6-2. The junior is now 9-2 this spring season.

Cieplucha, Steinbauer, and Malyarchikova extended the Mustang lead to 6-0 with their respective victories.

Modoc helped Fresno State avoid a shutout when she defeated Roberts 2-6, 6-3, 7-6.

SMU returns to the courts on Friday at 2 p.m. when they host Conference USA foe University of Tulsa at the Turpin Tennis Center.