A loss and a win for the Lady Mustangs this weekend

SMU+Defender+Courtney+Smith%2C+left%2C+defends+against+Oklahoma+State+Midfielder+Sarah+Brown+during+play+Friday+night+at+Wescott+Field.+SMU+lost+the+
Rebecca Hanna/The Daily Campus
SMU Defender Courtney Smith, left, defends against Oklahoma State Midfielder Sarah Brown during play Friday night at Wescott Field. SMU lost the

SMU Defender Courtney Smith, left, defends against Oklahoma State Midfielder Sarah Brown during play Friday night at Wescott Field. SMU lost the (Rebecca Hanna/The Daily Campus)

BY JORDAN JENNINGS

Sports Editor

[email protected]

Just two days after the Ponies’ 2-1 loss to Oklahoma State on Friday night, the Mustangs returned to Westcott Field Sunday afternoon to defeat the New Mexico Lobos.

The Ponies has several shots on the Lobos’ goal, but it was Junior Logan May who headed the winning goal for the Mustangs, 78 minutes into the game.

“It was very, very good especially after losing a heartbreaker on Friday night,” Head Coach Brent Erwin said.

“I told the team, ‘Good teams come back and win this game today.’ We did it, and we played very well doing it.”

Last season, May scored or assisted in three straight games including against Saint Mary’s, whom the team will take on next Sunday at Westcott Field.

Sunday’s win marks SMU goalkeeper Courtney Webb’s fourth shutout of the season. She blocked a total of three goals against the Lobos.

On Friday, Webb blocked six goals against the Cowgirls. SMU snuck in one goal against Oklahoma State 68 minutes into the game. It was sophomore Kenzie Scovill’s first game of the year.

The Mustangs are currently 4-2-2 on the season.

The team will travel to Denton on Friday, Sept. 17 to play North Texas at 7 p.m.

The Mean Green are 5-2-1 this season.

(Rebecca Hanna/The Daily Campus)

(Rebecca Hanna/The Daily Campus)