SMU serves it up

Michael Danser/The Daily Campus
SMU Outside Hitter Kathryn Wilkerson serves a ball during play.

SMU Outside Hitter Kathryn Wilkerson serves a ball during play. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

SMU volleyball team competed in the Lobo Comcast Challenge in Albuquerque, N.M. this weekend.  The Mustangs completed the tournament with a record of 2-1, giving the team a 7-2 record for the season.    

The Mustangs were successful in their first match of the tournament against the UC Santa Barbara Gachos.  

Sophomore Courtney Manning, who had four solo and five assisted blocks, and Junior Jessica Oliver, who had a career-high 15 kills in the match, had strong performances in the match.

The Mustangs were down in the opening first set 20-17, but pulled forth for the win after an eight-point rally 25-20.  They won the second set 25-21 and lost the third set 25-20.  SMU closed out the match with a win in the fourth set 25-20.

The Mustangs lost to host team New Mexico Lobos in their second match of the tournament, 3-1.   Outside hitters Kathryn Wilkerson, who notched her fifth double-double of the year with 13 kills and 13 digs, and Dana Powell, who posted her sixth double-double of the year with 14 digs and 11 kills, led the Mustangs’ offense.  SMU won the first set, 25-23, but lost the next three sets with a team season-low .144 attack percentage.

In their final game of the tournament the Mustangs defeated Sacrament State 3-1.  Junior Sidney Stewart, who tallied a career-high 39 digs in the match, led the Mustangs’ defensive effort. 

Junior Kellie Becerra, who had 19 scoops, finished the match with a season-high 53 assists.  The Mustangs split the first two sets but came out on top after winning the final two sets (25-22, 25-23).

The Mustangs travel to Wichita State this week to play their next match of the season at 7 p.m. on Tuesday.