Stars must continue to improve

Riding a three game winning streak, the Stars currently sit in eighth, sporting a 6-5-1 record and that is exactly where the Stars want to be.

After the 12 games, the Stars are thrilled to find themselves in the middle of the pack.

Dallas has been carried by goaltender Kari Lehtonen. Lehtonen is tied for the lead league in wins, and is also in the upper half in save percentage and goals against average. The Stars are giving up an average of 31 shots per games, fourth highest in the league. Lehtonen’s strong play is the biggest reason that the Stars have been able to be competitive in so many games this year.

Offensively, Jaromir Jagr leads the team in points with eight. The 40-year-old Czech born player now has 668 goals in his career, tying him at 10th all-time. Jagr is the active points leader in the NHL and sits at eighth all-time. Loui Eriksson, Jamie Benn and Michael Ryder are all tied for the team lead in goals with four.

For the Stars to be successful, they need to pick up their scoring. Dallas is 28th in goals per game and 29th in shots per game. Dallas is set to start a three game road trip across Western Canada, beginning in Edmonton on Tuesday. The Stars next home game is on Sunday, Feb. 17 against the Calgary Flames.