SMU women’s basketball defeats Tulsa 66-58 to get yet another win on its home court

TYLER WILLIAMS/The Daily Campus
SMU Head Coach Ronda Rompola speaks with members of the team during a timeout Thursday evening inside Moody Coliseum. SMU won the game 62-46.

SMU Head Coach Ronda Rompola speaks with members of the team during a timeout Thursday evening inside Moody Coliseum. SMU won the game 62-46. (TYLER WILLIAMS/The Daily Campus)

The Mustangs hosted their second consectuive home game this week Sunday against Tulsa.

After coming off the Marshall game on a good note with a shut out, SMU was fired up to get back out on the court.

Christine Elliott had her second double-double of the season, 15 points, and 13 rebounds.

Haley Day yet again had an impressive game, putting a team-high 16 points on the board for the afternoon and eight rebounds.

“I think today her confidence was there, she’s been playing not to make mistakes so I think it helped that she hit some tough shots and the bottom line is Haley needs to be on the floor for us” Rompola said.

The first half started out a little rough for Tulsa, and they only shot 12.9 percent, they picked up the speed in the second with 52.8 percent but SMU’s 54.5 percent in the second allowed them to keep possession of the game.

“The first half we played very good defense, but the second half they started to figure it out,” Rompola said.

The Mustangs were up by 17 with 1:42 left on the clock so coach Rhonda Rompola dug into the bench a little bit and then their lead started slipping.

“They scored ten points just like that to cut the deficit and thats frustrating. It was a sloppy game on both ends” Rompola said.

Samantha Mahnesmith had another successful game after shooting 100 percent in the Marshall game, and finished with 11 points.

Delisha Wills added 15 points, and made it four players that shot in double digits for the afternoon.

“We feel like with each game that Delisha progresses, and her biggest issue is staying out of foul trouble. Sam and D play so well together, and we really saw that today with both of them putting up 15 points” Rompola said.

The Mustangs have five games left before the conference tournament that will be tough.

“ECU is going to be hard along with Memphis, and the fact that today we didn’t have as many points as I would have liked worries me when I hear that ECU put up 91 points in their last game” Rompola said.

The pink game or “pack the house” is on Feb. 20 against UAB. It’s usually a sell out game, and will be the second to last game at Moody Coliseum for the season.