Women’s golf to compete in Arizona

The Lady Mustangs finally return to competitive action in the Clover Cup in Mesa, Ariz. this weekend after a two-week break.

SMU will be riding a hot streak after an impressive bounce back victory in the Central District Invitational.

The Mustangs will be looking for another good performance from Jenny Haglund who finished tied for third in the Central District tournament.

Even more impressive however this early in the year has been Felicia Espericueta who will be looking to notch another high finish building off of her first two good performances.

SMU is the fifth highest ranked team in the field, but will face an uphill climb to win however. They will have to have all five players all three days to knock off a loaded Oklahoma team that comes in ranked third in the nation.

The key once again, and one that got them a victory two weeks ago, will be to play consistent for most of the tournament. Avoid the big scores or having multiple on one day and just wait for the team to put it all together.

An important note to remember however, the Mustangs don’t need to win to have this be considered a good performance but coming out of this week in the top four would be considered a success.

As it is early in the year, the Mustangs are still trying to build momentum for later when the conference tournaments start picking up.