Women’s volleyball leaves ECU Pirates stranded

The SMU Volleyball team picked up a solid victory over East Carolina Friday night by in Moody Coliseum (25-23, 25-12. 25-20).

SMU (9-13, 5-5 Conference USA) took on each set like it was the game-winner – which is how the entire game felt as ECU and SMU alternated in taking the lead.

However, it was the Mustangs that came out every time on top.

In the first set, ECU took a 3-point lead, that wasn’t enough to keep the Mustangs away. SMU capitalized on mistakes early and came back with a 5-point lead. The Pirates (2-17, 0-10 C-USA) then slashed that lead to one, 18-17. For the rest of the set, the Mustangs never presented the chance for a tie and finished with a 25-23 win.

It was in the second match where the Mustangs took the reins of the game, leaving no room for Pirates to celebrate.

They broke a 9-9 tie with a 9-0 run. SMU Kelli Becerra displayed a solid performance as she served nine straight times during the stretch, which included four blocks from the Mustangs. From there on out, the momentum rolled on leaving the Pirates stranded with only an upsetting scoreboard of 25-12.

Becerra wasn’t the only Mustang to make her mark in the game. Kendrick Koch made some personal marks as she broke her first career double-double in the match, scoring scoring 11 assists with 15 digs.

Teammate Sidney Stewart followed with a match high of 18-digs. Becerra had 20 assists and seven digs in the match. Courtney Manning had eight kills and seven blocks. Oliver also added four blocks.

The Mustangs hit the road for their next match to take on Marshall in Huntington W.Va. on Sunday at 11 a.m. SMU will then return home next weekend, hosting UAB on Friday and Memphis on Sunday.

SMU will sponsor a tailgate at 12:30 p.m. before the Memphis match as part of the Pack the House campaign.