SMU Women’s Soccer falls to North Texas in 87th minute

After putting up a tough fight, the SMU women’s soccer team fell short to North Texas Friday evening 2-1 at the Green Mean Soccer Complex.

The Mustangs (3-2-0) came out strong, laying the pressure early on the North Texas’ goalkeeper.  Junior Ryan Lewis took a shot from the top of the box that was forced to sail just above the crossbar. 

North Texas’ Nikki Crocco led the team scoring both goals.  The first goal was the product of a free-kick that connected with Crocco and she sent the ball in.  

It was then that SMU quickly responded with a cross from the corner in an effort to match up the scoreboard.  The ball was knocked in by a Mean Green defender, tying up the Mustangs and North Texas. 

It was in the final three minutes that Crocco’s second shot was made.  Crocco capitalized on a loose ball in the box and placed it in for the game-winner.

SMU ended the game outshooting North Texas 10-6, but struggled in getting the ball to the back of the net. 

SMU continues their four-game road stretch to Los Angeles, Calif. next weekend.  They are set to play No. 6 UCLA on Sept. 9 p.m. CT.  and Loyola Marymount on Sept. 11 at 3 p.m.