Mustangs get ready to take on Cougars

After last year’s defeat by Washington State Cougars, SMU Mustangs gear up for win
TYLER WILLIAMS/ The Daily Campus
SMU wide receiver Darius Johnson runs the ball after a catch from SMU QB Kyle Padron during play last Saturday.

SMU wide receiver Darius Johnson runs the ball after a catch from SMU QB Kyle Padron during play last Saturday. (TYLER WILLIAMS/ The Daily Campus)

The clock is ticking as the SMU Mustangs prepare to take on the Washington State Cougars at Ford Stadium Saturday afternoon.

It has been almost a year since the Cougars devoured the Mustangs 30-27 last year at Martin Stadium.

Washington State came back 17 points in the third quarter, leaving it up to their kicker, Nico Grasu, to boot a field goal for the win in overtime.

It was the only win for the Cougars that season, compared to the Ponies who overcame the loss and went on to win eight games in 2009, including the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl.

The Mustangs are currently 23-point favorites to win.

Both teams are coming off their first wins of the 2010 season in games played last Saturday.

Washington State defeated Montana State on Sept. 11, 23-22 thanks to Grasu’s 18-yard field goal kicked just two minutes before the end of the fourth quarter.

It was the Cougar’s first win since they beat SMU last year.

The same day, SMU clobbered UAB 28-7 in their first conference game of the year.

SMU quarterback Kyle Padron  will meet Washington State’s Jeff Tuel for the first time on the field this Saturday.

Tuel was 18 of 29 for 204 yards for the Cougars win over Montana State. Padron was 18 of 33 for 145 yards against UAB.

As a freshman last season, Tuel finished the year throwing for 789 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Padron completed 1,922 yards and 10 touchdowns.

The Mustangs and the Cougars were both upset in the their non-conference season openers.

Washington State was creamed by Oklahoma State on Sept. 4. at Boone Pickens Stadium, losing 65-17.  

Tuel completed only 14 of 29 passes and threw a total of 212 yards, with 1 touchdown.

Sept. 5, just a day after Washington State’s loss, Texas Tech beat SMU 35-27 at Jones AT&T Stadium.

Padron completed 21 of 28 passes for 218 yards and 2 touchdowns.

In both games it came down to the teams’ kickers.

Cougar kicker Grasu and Mustang kicker Matt Szymanski hold the two longest field goals in NCAA FBS so far this season.

Grasu connected on a 56-yard field goal in the second quarter against OSU, the sixth longest field goal kick in Washington State history.

At Tech, Szymanski booted a 61-yard field goal, his career best.

On Saturday, SMU head Coach June Jones’ run and shoot style offense will take on Washington State Coach Paul Wulff’s scout style offense.

This is the coaches’ third season with their respective teams.

The CBS College Sports televised game is set to kick off at 2:30 p.m. at Gerald J. Ford Stadium, where the C-USA Mustangs will take on the Pac-10 Cougars.