Hughes-Trigg art displays students’ talents

Hughes-Trigg art displays students talents

Twenty one pieces of art complimented each other Monday and Tuesday in the Commons area at the third annual Hughes-Trigg Art Show.

Program Council joined the Hughes-Trigg Center staff this year to sponsor the event. PC’s Sarah Harris helped make the event possible. She believes the art show was a great way for all students to show their creative side.

“Usually art is secluded in Meadows,” Harris said. “This art show gives the opportunity for students who love to paint and do photography the chance to show their love for the arts.”

She added that the event gives “a little creative burst to the school.”

The event kicked off on Monday at noon with live musical performances from sophomores McCullough Ferguson and Todd Haberkorn.

The judges also announced the winners of the art show at the kickoff.

Four judges secretly voted for their favorite work of art and a student tallied the results. The judges included Michael Deen, Lisa Boyd, Jim Caswell and Vera Sohl. Sohl, who was a former judge, said it was a difficult decision this year.

“It was great representation of varied mediums,” she said. “It was difficult to choose two or three that were above the others.”

First-year Jennifer Dudney and junior Bragan Hubberd clinched the two first-place $250 cash prizes.

Sohl said she “got a feeling” when she looked at these pieces.

Dudney’s piece, entitled “Perkins Chapel at Night,” was one of her favorites.

“The use of color in the Perkins piece felt like hope and faith amidst turmoil,” Sohl said.

Hubberd’s piece, which was “untitled,” was an ink drawing dipped on plastic. Sohl said the sketch “drew her in.”

First-year Natalie Golden received honorable mention with her representation of Gustav Klint’s “expectation.” She was given a gift certificate to AMC theaters.

Nancy Bernardino, marketing manager at the Hughes-Trigg Center, said the two first place pieces will be permanently displayed in the Hughes-Trigg Center.

“The last four winners works are already hanging in the center,” she said.

Those pieces are spread throughout the Hughes-Trigg Student Center.

“One is in the commons and one is up by [The Daily Campus office],” Bernardino said. “The placement is unknown [for this year’s winners.]”

Bernardino said she was extremely happy with the show this year, but is looking to make next year’s event even bigger .

‘Hopefully we can make it larger so students can get to vote to get the student perspective,” she said.

She also said she would like to make it more like a gallery showing and try to invite a more collections of art to the show.

Last year’s show had different sizes and different types of art, so she looks forward to drawing in varied pieces in the next few years.