Rugby kicks off season with new coaches, game plan

The SMU rugby club is heading into its fall season with high intensity brought by new coaches and strategies.
Katy Roden/The Daily Campus

The SMU rugby club is heading into its fall season with high intensity brought by new coaches and strategies. (Katy Roden/The Daily Campus)

The SMU Rugby Club took a road trip to Austin last weekend to start off its fall season with brand new coaches ready to make big changes to the program.

The men faced tough competition in their first three games, falling to University of Texas at Dallas, St. Edwards University and University of Texas at San Antonio.

However, with the experience of those first games behind them, the team finished off the weekend with a dominating 54-0 victory over Midwestern State University.

“Overall I was very impressed with the cohesiveness and continuity [last weekend] especially given that this was the first time the men played an official game together as a team,” new head coach Jon Clark said.

Clark contacted the team last spring when the team was lacking the leadership and organization of a coach.

“I wanted to find an avenue to volunteer and contribute to the local community both personally and professionally,” Clark said.

With rugby and business in his background, Clark hopes to provide value to a club that, according to him, traditionally is not funded or supported well at the college level.

Clark owns AIM Consulting, a growing technology company in Dallas that is currently the main sponsor to the SMU Rugby Club. AIM provides financial support, coaching and is also building a cutting edge SMU Rugby website.

Clark and assistant coach Jason Grant have high hopes for the team.

“[We] are implementing a very advanced game plan that the team is taking very well to,” Clark said. “We have a great group of athletes, and what we lack in experience, we make up for in heart and toughness.”

The players are feeling the impact of the new coaching and strategy.

“Having a core group of players that come to every practice and game really makes us better,” junior James Robison said. “Having coaches that care about the team really makes a difference too.”

The team looks forward to the spring season when things heavily pick up. Clark believes some of the talented players with All-American potential could lead the team to the Texas Rugby Union Collegiate Championship.

The new coach has brought intensity into what was previously believed to be an unorganized program.

“I demand a certain level of work ethic, attitude and mental toughness from the team,” he said. “We are open for any students to join the rugby club, but it certainly isn’t for everyone.”

For those brave enough to step onto the pitch with the newly-invigorated rugby men, open practices are held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. at the intramural field.

“We are changing the culture of the SMU rugby program,” Clark said. “We are a tough, fearless and competitive group with championship potential.”