SMU Equestrian splits matches on Saturday against Baylor and Sacred Heart

The SMU Equestrian Team picked up their second victory of the spring season on Saturday but also suffered their second defeat as they took on both Sacred Heart University and Baylor University at the Willis Family Equestrian Center in Waco, Texas.

The Mustangs defeated the Pioneers 7-1 but lost to the Bears 5-2 and now move to 2-2 overall this spring.

Against Sacred Heart, the Mustangs jumped out to a 4-0 lead as they swept on the flat behind freshman Juliana Fischer who earned MVP.

SMU continued their dominant performance over fences winning three out of four match-ups.

Katie Jones, Jordyn Petterson and Emily Gardener all gathered victories over fences for the Mustangs. SMU tallied 543 total points overall while the Pioneers finished with 489.

Despite outscoring Baylor 564-561 in SMU’s second match of the day, the Mustangs found themselves on the wrong end of the spectrum as the Bears were still crowned champions.

Fischer once again was a bright for SMU as she earned her second MVP of the day after scoring an 83 over fences and following with a 72 on the flat.

Baylor began the match with a 3-0 sweep of SMU over fences. All three victories came by 8 points or less.

No point was awarded to either SMU or Baylor when Mustang freshman Renick Townsend and Kim Woodsum finished deadlocked at 65-65.

On the flat, SMU split its match-ups which allowed Baylor to clinch the victory. Trailing 5-0, the Mustangs won two straight matches.

Fisher destroyed Lisa Goldman 83-55 and Petterson edged out Kara Fergusson 74-69.

SMU will not have another match until March 26 when Baylor comes to Dallas to square off in a highly anticipated rematch.