Intramurals, club sports provide opportunities for SMU first-years

SMU’s Department of Recreational Sports offers both an intramural sports program and club sports program for students wishing to participate in competitive and recreational sports leagues.

INTRAMURALS
In the past, the Intramural program has had over 3,000 participants involved in 30 different individual and team recreational sports activities.

Intramural sports include soccer, volleyball, tennis, flag football, basketball, softball and many more.

Students and staff may organize and lead teams for either men’s, women’s or co-ed leagues for a fee of $30. Individuals wishing to participate may sign up as individual participants and be placed on existing teams.

No prior athletic experience is required. The intramural program is designed to provide non-collegiate athletes with an opportunity to learn and perfect their physical skills through individual and team competition. Sign-ups begin the first day of school.

It also offers job opportunities for students seeking on-campus employment. Opportunities include officiating, supervising, scorekeeping, equipment management and office administration.

Flyers including entry date and information will be posted throughout campus for those interested in participating.

Intramural fields are located behind the Moody parking garage.

CLUB SPORTS
In addition to intramural sports, SMU also offers Club Sports for students seeking other athletic opportunities on campus.

Club teams include badminton, baseball, crew, cricket, cycling, hockey, lacrosse, martial arts, Mr. & Mrs. SMU body building championship, polo, rugby, sailing, soccer, tennis, triathlon, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball and wakeboarding.

Experience is not required, however, several sports clubs hold tryouts prior to the start of the season.

Competitive sports clubs compete against regional and national schools such as UT- Austin, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Rice and Baylor.

The Department of Recreational Sports will have additional information about Intramural and Club Sports at AARO this summer.

For further questions contact Jack Harper, associate director of intramurals/sports clubs at [email protected].