McDermott officially named starting quarterback for the week

SMU quarterback J.J. McDermott looks down field for an open receiver during play against Texas A&M Sunday evening at Kyle Field.
Michael Danser/The Daily Campus

SMU quarterback J.J. McDermott looks down field for an open receiver during play against Texas A&M Sunday evening at Kyle Field. (Michael Danser/The Daily Campus)

SMU fans got to see a new face during a switch up on the team’s offensive series Sunday evening at Texas A&M.

Junior quarterback Kyle Padron threw two early interceptions, that gave Coach June Jones a lead to give

Senior quarterback J.J. McDermott a shot to help revive the chances of an upset over the Aggies.

On Tuesday after the Mustangs practice, Jones officially named McDermott as the starting quarterback for the home opener on Saturday.

He added that Padron would play occasionally, but McDermott is now the Mustangs new starter.

Before transferring to SMU, McDermott played at New Mexico State University, ironically also nicknamed the Aggies. In his time as an Aggie, McDermott appeared in half of New Mexico State’s games.

McDermott threw for 319 yards, two touchdowns, and put up a completion percentage of 72.5 percent. He finished with 676 passing yards and two touchdowns in his New Mexico State tenure.

After McDermott’s sophomore year at New Mexico, he transferred to SMU in 2009. McDermott was a solid addition to the team, but due to NCAA transfer rules, he was ineligible in his junior year at SMU. The fifth-year senior played three games last season for the Mustangs, throwing for 33 yards and no touchdowns.

In a post-game interview, McDermott recognized Zach Line as a contribution to his comfort on the field.

“It’s all about the opportunity,” McDermott said.