Nike Invitational ends in loss for Mustangs

The volleyball team fell short (1-2) at the Nike Invitational this weekend hosted by the University of Oklahoma.

The opening match started Friday night with SMU’s 3-0 loss against No.16 Oklahoma.

SMU’s Dana Powell ended the night with 12 kills and nine digs. Jessica Oliver was not far behind adding 10 kills for SMU.

The Mustangs came back with two points to tie the second set 23-23.

Toward the ending, the Sooners regained control of the match with a 27-25 win.

In the second set, the Mustangs were down a point, 12-11, but Oklahoma had a 11-3 tear which finalized the set.

In the first set the Mustangs took the lead, 9-8. But Oklahoma took a 4-0 run to take the lead, 13-9. The Sooners kept the lead with a 25-20 win and a 1-0 advantage in the match.

Caroline Young finished with five kills in her first collegiate match. Kelli Becerra finished with 34 assists and Sidney Stewart led the Mustangs with 17 digs.

The second match against Missouri on Friday nearly tied the match 1-1.

But the Mustangs fell a few points short in the second round causing them to lose 3-0.

The Mustangs cut the lead 24-22, but could not keep the Bears back with a 25-22 second set loss.

The Bears opened with a 6-1 win over the Mustangs. In the final set, the Mustangs cut the lead to two, 13-11, but couldn’t keep the lead due to errors. SMU finalized the set with 10 errors and with just six kills.

In the opening set the Bears took a early lead 7-5 and stretched it to 13-7. Falling five points the rest of the way, the Mustangs lost 25-14.

Oliver led the Mustangs with 11 kills and four blocks and Stewart finished with 15 digs.

Freshman Julianne Scheidler scored her first point with a service aces and also finished with two digs. Becerra finished the match with 28 assists and nine digs.

The Mustangs gained a 3-0 victory in the final match against Oral Roberts on Saturday to improve their 1-2 season. Becerra posted the first double-double for the Mustangs with 35 assists and 11 digs.

The Mustangs broke the set open midway taking a 15-10 lead closing out the match with a 25-19 win. SMU only had four errors with 14 kills and a .800 side out percentage in the final set.

Powell and Courtney Manning led the Mustangs to a 25-19 victory in the second set. Powell led the Mustangs in the set with four kills, and Manning posted three blocks.

Powell finished the match with a team-high, 12 kills and nine digs. Oliver had over 11 kills with four blocks and Manning finished with eight kills and five blocks.

The Mustangs overall had 11 blocks in the match.

The Mustangs will return home to host the Doubletree Classic Sept. 2 to Sept. 3 in Moody Coliseum. The Mustangs will open the tournament against TCU on Friday at 7 p.m.