School spirit revived at Block Party

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Students enjoyed food, music and games at the school-wide block party.

Students enjoyed food, music and games at the school-wide block party. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus )

School spirit lined the boulevard as students, athletes and coaches were welcomed back to the Hilltop with barbecue, music and games Friday night.

Guest appearances included Coach June Jones, the football and men’s soccer teams, Peruna and a guest performance by Brad Cooper.

“What I am most excited for this year is the football games, I can’t wait to be at every game front and center cheering on the team,” freshman Stephanie Gentile said.

SMU also celebrated the Centennial class at the Block Party. Students were allowed to make history by writing a prediction for the future of SMU that will be placed into the new Centennial Hall in the Hughes-Trigg Student center.

June Jones then spoke to the crowd about a tradition started at SMU two years ago where the football team would walk up and down the boulevard on game days so fans could line the street to wish them good luck and show their support.

SMU contractor for athletic marketing Kristin Kimball hopes SMU athletics and the Program Council can team up for future events.

“If this translates into more attendance at games and more student involvement on campus, then I think it was a successful event. Hopefully we see the benefits through the season,” Kimball said.