Men’s swimming & diving finished strong in American Short Course Championship

Update: Saturday, 9: 40 p.m

The SMU men’s swimming & diving team finished strong this weekend in Austin, Texas at the American Short Course Championships.

SMU’s Matas Andriekus, Julian Fletcher, David Larsson and Mindaugas Sadauskas placed second in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:28.59.

Larsson, a senior, went on to place third in the 100-yard butterfly, while Andriekus, a freshman, placed sixth in the 200-yard backstroke.

Senior Blaz Korosec barely missed the top five in the 100-yard butterfly, as he placed seventh with a time of 48.80.

The Mustangs were strong in the 400-yard freestyle relay, taking home gold with a time of 2:53.41.

The men head home this weekend to gear up for their next meet, the NCAA Zone Diving Championships, next week March 9 to March 11.

Update: Thursday, 11: 22 p.m.

The men’s swimming & diving team are off to a great start at the American Short Course Championships in Austin, Texas.

The guys are looking strong in the relays, already placing four different relay teams in top five finishes.

SMU men’s ‘A’ team, comprised of Ryan Koops, Mindauguas Sadauskas, David Larsson and Nicolai Hansen, placed second in the men’s 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:18.77.

The SMU men’s ‘B’ team, made up of Giedrius Andriunaitis, Blaz Korosec, Matt Roney and Matthew Napier-Jameson, took fourth in the same event with a time of 1:23.34.

The Mustangs repeated their top five trend in the 400 medley relay, an event consisting of various swimming strokes completed by each team member, placing teams in both the first and fourth slots.

Matas Andriekus, Julian Fletcher, Larsson and Sadauskas, all members of the SMU ‘A’ 400 medley relay team, took home gold in the event with a time of 3:11.68. Not far behind was Koops, Napier-Jameson, Korosec and Andriunaitis of the SMU ‘B’ 400-yard medley relay. The men just missed the medal stand, placing fourth with a time of 3:18.11.

The events continue Friday morning at 9:15 a.m. with the men’s 200 medley relay, 400 IM, 100-fly, 200-freestyle, 100-breaststroke, 100-backstroke and 800 freestyle relay. 

Original article: Thursday, 11: 40 a.m. 

The SMU men’s swimming & diving team is headed to Austin, Texas this weekend to compete in the American Short Course Championships.

The team, coming off of a victorious win at the Conference USA Championships this past weekend, is expected to perform well at this week’s events.

The Mustangs dominated the medal stand in the 100-yard freestyle. Junior Mindaugas Sadauskas won with an NCAA B standard of 43.23, while Junior David Larsson placed second and sophomore Ryan Koops came in third.

SMU also took the top three in the platform dive. Freshman Devin Burnett placed first earning his third gold medal of the evening. Hayden Hodges came in second with 279.15 points while Richard Cornelius placed third with a score of 260.30.

Senior leader Blaz Korosec took home gold in the 200-yard butterfly with an NCAA time of 1:46.97.

SMU sophomore Julian Fletcher took third in the 200-yard breaststroke, while the 400-yard relay team of Sadauskas, Larsson, Nicolai Hansen and Koops finished first.

The Short Course Championships last through Saturday. The men will return home this weekend to prepare for the NCAA Zone Diving Championships next weekend.