SMU track & field dominates second outdoor meet

SMU’s Simone du Toit competes in the Women’s Shot Put during the March 12 NCAA college Indoor Championships at Texas A&M University in College Station.
BOB LEVEY/ The Associated Press

SMU’s Simone du Toit competes in the Women’s Shot Put during the March 12 NCAA college Indoor Championships at Texas A&M University in College Station. (BOB LEVEY/ The Associated Press)

Fresh off its impressive performance at the Texas Christian University Invitational, the No. 20 SMU track and field team showcased a strong performance as it competed in the Mean Green Invitational this weekend.

The Mustangs placed first in a variety of sprint, jump and throwing events against a field that included host team North Texas.

After recently being named 2011 USTFCCCA Indoor All-American, Simone du Toit proved herself as a top thrower in the country by placing first in both the shot put and discus events.

Du Toit posted winning throws of 16.61 meter and 55.12 meter in the shot put and discus respectively. Ayla Gill, who was named Conference USA Athlete of the Week last week, won the hammer throw after a 55.45 meter toss.

Also competing in throwing events for SMU was sophomore Lisa Egarter, who finished first in the javelin throw with a 41.32 meter mark. Placing first in the high jump with a 1.75 meter jump was junior Viktoria Leks.

In the sprint events, junior Amber Evans placed first in the 200-meter dash with a 23.71 mark and also set a school record 11.62 finish in the 100-meter dash. However, the record-breaking performance was not enough to garner a first place finish as Evans finished just behind Oklahoma’s Shawna Anderson.

SMU will now have the luxury of staying in Dallas on April 1 to compete in the Bobby Lane Invitational.