Fan of the week: Daniel Poku

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

This week’s fan of the week features Daniel Poku a sophomore at SMU majoring in markets and culture and business. Poku’s hobbies include going out dancing, hanging out with friends and attending as many SMU games as he can.

Their are various fans at different schools that show their school spirit, but Poku says what makes an ultimate SMU fan is someone that goes to the games and commits to supporting the Mustangs’ commitment on the field.

“As fans we do more than just watch a game, I’d like to believe our chants and yells are the music that pumps up our fellow Mustangs,” he said.

Poku also said that SMU students should have school spirit because students chose to pursue the next stage of our lives at SMU.

“This is not just a place where SMU students go to study, it is in fact, a place where we learn, live, and relate. It is important to have school spirit because without a deep conviction and respect for one’s school, its [SMU] back can break,” Poku said.

Poku’s favorite SMU player is football center, Blake McJunkin.

“The big and awesome guy that he is on the field reflects the big and awesome guy he is in class, in his college ministry One28, and in his life in general,” he said.

Poku encourages students that want to gain more school spirit to come support their Mustangs in any and all sports that might interest them.

“All you have to do is ask a friend and tag along with a group. Be the fans that show your fellow Mustangs that you are there for them, and that you want them to leave it all on the field,” Poku said.

You can find Poku at the latest SMU game cheering on the home team.