Male Athlete of the Week: Jaime Ibara-Perez

This week’s Male Athlete of the Week is none other than the Dallas native Jaime Ibarra-Perez.

The sophomore has been the starting goalkeeper of the 2011 to 2012 season for the SMU men’s soccer team.

“It’s a great honor being the starter. I mean there are three other great goalkeepers on the team but unfortunately only one of us can play so I’m just grateful the coaches gave me the opportunity,” Ibarra said.

The men’s soccer team has had many moments of which to celebrate on and outside the field.

The Mustangs proudly held high the Conference-USA Championship trophy this last Sunday afternoon at Hurricane Stadium in Tulsa, Okla., as they shut out UAB with a score of 2-0.

“Winning that trophy was unbelievable; it encourages me because I can see so much work paying off, but I can’t say were still not hungry for the even bigger trophy that lies ahead,” Ibarra said.

The Mustangs held Marshall, South Carolina and UAB down on the road towards the C-USA Championship trophy.

Ibarra recorded two shutouts while playing against South Carolina and UAB, in which he does not take complete credit.

“I have to say the shutouts were work from the whole “back five.”

I can’t take the credit because without the other four defenders I couldn’t have gotten the clean sheets,” Ibarra said.

Ibarra says now the team is looking forward to their next opponent in the NCAA tournament, as they search for the national championship.

“We don’t have much time to work before the big game, but we’re all just focusing on getting the little things right; those are the things that could make or break a game,” Ibarra said.

The Dallasite says the team has the talent and team chemistry, which could lead them to the final four in the NCAA bracket.

As for the next season, Ibarra says that he will have to earn again the starting position as the goalkeeper for the team.

“Next season is a whole new ball game; all four of us are coming in with a clean sheet to fight for that spot once again,” Ibarra said.

Random Facts

Lucky charms: “I don’t have any lucky charms really, but one thing I always have written on my gloves is my father’s birthday; he passed away last year so I always write that on them in his memory.”

Favorite music: “I’ve gotten odd looks from my teammates and coaches for my pump up music, but it’s a Mexican artist named Gerardo Ortiz; he gets the job done.”

Greatest fear: “Every time I walk off the field after a game, I fear that could be my last.”

Favorite hangout at SMU: “I’m always at Hughes-Trigg. That place has everything: food, computers, TV and a place to nap.”