Women’s basketball team battles it out on the court with TCU

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Sophomore guard Krystal Johnson attempts to make a pass during play against Rice March 3 in Moody Coliseum.

Sophomore guard Krystal Johnson attempts to make a pass during play against Rice March 3 in Moody Coliseum. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Its time to pack the house at Moody Coliseum as the SMU women’s basketball team takes on cross-town rivals the TCU Horned Frogs.

SMU is back home after defeating Arkansas-Little Rock on the road to host TCU on Thursday at 7 p.m.

During their last matchup with TCU, the Mustangs fought until the shot clock ran out before losing the battle in double overtime 87-73.

The first overtime left SMU and TCU in a deadlock with a score of 68-68 early on before remaining there for the last five minutes.

After losing three starters to injury and fouls, the Mustangs weren’t able to hold off the Horned Frogs during the second overtime and TCU took on a 9-2 run to win the ball game.

Guard Samantha Mahnesmith led the Mustangs with 19 points and put four of five shots behind the arc on the score board.

Christine Elliott also had a good game and finished with a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

Both Mahnesmith and Elliott have returned for the 2011 to 2012 season to once again take on TCU.

This season the Horned Frogs will be coming to Moody with a record of 1-1 after taking down UTSA for their season opener 83-60.

TCU has lost its two leading scorers from the previous season but are being led by senior Antoinette Thompson with 13.5 points per game. With a 2-0 start, the Mustangs will be coming into the match with a strong defense holding its opponents thus far to 60 points or less.

Mahnesmith and junior guard Alisha Filmore have led the Mustangs in scoring this season with Mahnesmith scoring 13 in the opener and Filmore with a solid 15 against Arkansas-Little Rock.

Despite last season’s loss in Fort Worth, the series history shows SMU to be the stronger team, defeating the Horned Frogs 40-15 since the rivalry began in the 1976 to 1977 season.

The Hamburger Man and the SMU Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will be sponsoring a “Burgers and Basketball” tailgate before the game.

For $5 fans can purchase food and beverages starting at 6 p.m.