Women’s soccer picks up a loss and a win over weekend

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Freshman forward Olivia Elliot struggles for possession of the ball during play against the University of Houston.

Freshman forward Olivia Elliot struggles for possession of the ball during play against the University of Houston. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

The SMU women’s soccer team played fellow Conference USA member, University of Houston, Sunday afternoon.

The girls defeated the Cougars and picked up a crucial conference win.

“Winning on Sundays is hard,” Coach Erwin said.

The Mustangs improved their home record to 6-1, and senior goalkeeper Courtney Webb didn’t allow a goal for the fifth time this season.

SMU’s goal was scored in the 20th minute by junior forward Kenzie Scovill. Scovill drilled it into the back of the net off a rebounded save.

Kaitlyn Eidson, after a week full of recognitions and awards, defended her title as Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week by holding the Cougars to only eight shots, two on goal.

“I appreciate the awards, but it really comes back to my teammates,” Eidson said.

The Mustangs improved their season record to 7-5 and their conference record to 3-1.

Sunday’s win comes after the SMU women’s soccer team lost to Conference USA opponent, Rice, Saturday night.

The Mustangs played in front of a season-high crowd of 609 people.

The Mustang loss was also the first home and conference

loss of the season.

The lone goal in the game was netted by Rice freshman Quynh-Nhu Truong with only six minutes to play.

The Mustangs were held to only three shots on goal.

Two were delivered by junior forward, Kenzie Scovill. The third shot by fellow junior forward, Ryanne Lewis.

SMU’s next game is Friday night against the No. 6 Memphis Tigers.

The Mustangs have already knocked off a ranked team this season with their win last Friday against UCF and look to knock off another.

“Memphis has something coming to them,” Eidson said.