SMU volleyball falls short in C-USA clash

SMU outside hitter Dana Powell returns a serve from Tulsa libero Jessica Adams during the game Wednesday evening inside Moody Coliseum. SMU lost the game 3-2.

It was a close, but unfortunate match for the SMU volleyball team on Wednesday night. SMU fell to Tulsa 3-2 at Moody Coliseum.  Three of five sets were decided by just two points.

Tulsa remains unbeaten in Conference USA play 5-0 and 13-2 on the season. The Mustangs lost their first conference game of the year, and are now 12-4 on the season.

The team hosted the “Pack the House” event on Wednesday night, encouraging students and staff to fill Moody Coliseum. While the stands weren’t close to being packed, attendance was higher than usual.

Mustangs Dana Powell, Jessica Oliver and Kathryn Wilkerson all registered double-digit kills against Tulsa. Powell tallied 19, followed by Wilkerson with 17 and Oliver with 13. The Mustangs finished the game with a 2.76 hitting percentage.

However, Tulsa sophomore Tyler Henderson carried 45 kills in a single match against the Mustangs, tying the C-USA all-time single match record, and breaking the Tulsa school record.

The Mustangs played a tough game, forcing Tulsa into their second five-set match of the season. The Hurricanes are now on a 13 match-winning streak.

SMU in partnership with the Side-Out Foundation will host the annual event “Dig Pink” on Saturday at Moody Coliseum, during the SMU vs. Memphis volleyball game.

“Dig Pink” is an event that is held to benefit victims of breast cancer.

The Mustangs will wear pink uniforms in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The team is dedicating the match to Beckey Moffitt, former SMU volleyball player Katy Moffitt’s mother who died of a heart attack following chemotherapy treatments.

The event will also feature a silent auction of SMU memorabilia. All proceeds will be donated to the Side-Out Foundation, an organization that works with volleyball players and coaches to help raise funds and awareness for breast cancer research.

The Mustangs will play back-to -back matches against the Memphis Tigers at 12 p.m. on Saturday, and at 2.p.m. on Sunday.