SMU swim teams off to strong start this season

SMU Men’s Swimming and Diving team is off to a great start this season. After taking down rival TCU in a meet earlier this season, they competed hard against nationally ranked #19 LSU this past weekend, only to fall short 139-161.

A major bright spot for the Mustangs this season has been the performance of sophomore Devin Burnett. In the meet against LSU at Perkins Natatorium this past Saturday he won both the one meter and three meter dives. Burnett won the three meter dive by more than 50 points. Over winter break, Burnett participated at the Tennessee Diving Invitational in Knoxville, where he placed fourth in the one-meter dive and sixth in the platform dive.

Coming up this weekend, the Mustangs host the Classic at SMU in Perkins Natatorium. Later this month, they will take on Texas A&M. The Conference USA Championship is not until late February for the Mustangs and the NCAA Championship then comes in late March.

SMU Women’s Swimming and Diving team has also come off the blocks strong. Early in the season they hosted the SMU Classic that had five nationally ranked teams in competition. The Mustangs finished sixth in the Classic.

During this past week, they beat both North Texas and Houston in a meet in Denton.

This weekend SMU will compete in the Austin Grand Prix before hosting rival TCU later this month.

The Conference USA Championship starts February 20th in Houston and the NCAA Championship is slated to begin March 21st in Indianapolis.