SMU women’s rowing earns second consecutive victory over Creighton this season

After kicking off the spring season with a fourth place finish at the Oklahoma Invitational, the SMU women’s rowing team took down Creighton this weekend in Wichita, Kan.

The two teams have already collided once at the Oklahoma Invitational. The first match saw the Mustangs sweep three races, cruising past the Blue Jays. Two weeks later and it feels like the same story as SMU took three races despite unfavorable weather conditions.

SMU was led by Emily Carstens and Haley King who navigated their team to victory in the Varsity 8 and the second Varsity 4. The rest of the Varsity 8 team was compromised of Ali Smith, Claira McElroy, McKenzie Redman, Hannah Hansing, Courtaney Miller, Emily McCombs and Colleen Costello. Halley Learned and Lauren Hadaway paired with Carstens and King in the second Varsity 4 win.

SMU’s third victory came in the first Varsity 4 race behind freshmen Deanna Patton, Samantha Peltier, Mo Lohry and Lauren Moore.

The team of Megan May, Amanda Scott, Laura Kade and Nicolle Sliwa also notched a victory in the first Novice 4.

The Mustangs next competition is slated for April 2 and 3 at the San Diego Crew Classic in San Diego.