No. 6 Mustangs defeat Memphis

The No. 6 SMU men’s soccer team defeated Memphis 3-0 Saturday night. With the win, SMU moves to 13-1-0 on the season and 5-1-0 in Conference USA action.

“It was a great performance by the guys from beginning to end,” SMU head Coach Tim McClements said. “We knew that Memphis was in a do-or-die situation and that they were going to come out and play hard – which they did. We were able to maintain possession for a good part of the game and utilize a lot of players. It was a complete team effort,” he said.

Mustang freshman forward Juan Castillo opened up the scoring with a goal in the 24th minute.

Defender Leone Cruz found Castillo, who hit the ball from inside the 18-yard box over Memphis’ goalie to the near post. The goal was Castillo’s team-leading ninth of the season.

The Mustangs played great defense the rest of the first half to maintain their 1-0 lead heading into halftime, and came out on fire in the second half.

Arthur Ivo netted a goal in the 49th minute on a free kick from 20 yards out following a foul on Memphis. He fired the ball just inside the right post for his seventh goal of the year. Ivo also converted on a free kick in SMU’s last game against Tulsa.

Cruz added a goal of his own in the 60th minute. Ivo set up for another free kick just outside the box and hit the crossbar, but Cruz was able to gather the rebound and score his first goal of the season.

Goalkeeper Craig Hill led the SMU defense with three saves on the night.

SMU returns home to host Kentucky in the final game of the regular season Saturday at 7 p.m.

“Kentucky is going to be a tough game,” McClements said. “Kentucky is fighting for points to get into the conference tournament. They played Indiana a few nights ago and tied. They are a very capable team and have given us a lot of trouble over the years. We’ve got to be focused and win this game if we want to win the conference.”