Spooky flicks you should be watching

Courtesy of MGM
In a scene from “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” the Child Catcher, played by Robert Helpmann, searches for Jeremy and Jemima Potts in a toy store. “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” was released in 1968.

In a scene from “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” the Child Catcher, played by Robert Helpmann, searches for Jeremy and Jemima Potts in a toy store. “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” was released in 1968. (Courtesy of MGM)

1. ‘The Strangers’

Someone is trying to kill you. There is no rhyme or reason, you have no idea who they are and there’s nothing you can do about it. That’s “The Strangers.”

The thing that makes this movie so scary is the fact that things like that happen quite often, the most notorious of examples is the Manson murders of the Sixties.

This is one of those movies that change the way you look at the neighborhood around you.

Every person within a mile radius of your house become murderers, in your mind they are going to kill you for no reason and you can’t stop them.

2. ‘28 Days Later’

Made in 2003, this horror, sci-fi, thriller is a must-see.

The monsters are not dead. The person chasing you through the deserted British streets, trying to eat your face is not some un-dead hellspawn.

The only cure for this disease is to wait for the ill to drop dead in 28 days.

Contrary to popular belief this is not a zombie movie. It is an outbreak movie.

That being said, this outbreak is terrifying.

The classic zombie swarm sped up a couple hundred miles an hour and some awful British soldiers make this movie one to see, if you’re brave enough.

3. ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’

Two words: Child Catcher.

That evil, pale weirdo who lures kids into his cart with the promise of candy has been forever burned into the nightmares of a generation.

Especially to a generation growing up in the age where predators are on nearly every corner, this movie is terrifying.

All our parents had no idea making us watch that movie, flying cars and all, would mess us up.

4. ‘The Exorcist’

This is one of the movies we heard about from older siblings and parents. We like to think that kids are always off limits to real danger in scary movies. So it’s terrifying when the devil possesses one, turns her green and gives her a mean case of lunch explosion.

It’s a horror classic that still makes people uneasy.

This isn’t the first movie that the devil possessed some unlucky person, but it’s one of the scariest.

5. ‘Paranormal Activity’

Things that you can’t see are always scarier then the things you can. Especially when one of those things is a demon that’s been terrorizing you since you were a kid. 

This movie is a cautionary tale: dumb boyfriends of girls possessed by demons will be killed. All you dumb boyfriends beware.

If your girlfriend is possessed, do not try to provoke the devil; you will lose. He has been playing his game since before you were born and he’s had a whole lot more practice than you.

6. ‘JAWS’

Have you ever been swimming in the ocean, felt something touch your foot and peed yourself in fear? You can thank “Jaws” for that.

Almost everyone who has seen the movie looked at the water differently. It’s no wonder why the movie’s terrifying: the huge shark wants to eat you. And the only way to stop it is for Roy Scheider to blow its face off.

Always remember: if someone says you need a bigger boat, get a bigger boat.