Pause for breakfast, lunch at Southpaw’s Organic Cafe

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
Southpaw’s Organic Cafe is located in Preston Center near Northwest Highway and Douglas Avenue.

Southpaw’s Organic Cafe is located in Preston Center near Northwest Highway and Douglas Avenue. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

This modest, cafe-style restaurant is hidden away in Preston Center, but is making a big name for itself among health food aficionados.

Southpaw’s boasts a menu of sandwiches, salads and smoothies that good for you in a multitude of ways.

Their sandwich meats are nitrate free and preservative, as is their bread, which is dairy- free as well.

It’s up for debate whether their whole ingredient list is organic, but at least fifty items are, according their website.

And though every dish isn’t remarkably healthy, Southpaw’s plays it honest by detailing calorie, protein and carbohydrate information for each menu item.

Beyond being good for you, the food at Southpaw’s tastes pretty good too.

A wide range of foods are available, including avocado bowls: half of an avocado filled with your choice of hummus, tabbouleh or tuna.

The largest portion of the menu, however, is devoted to sandwiches with a wide range of flavors.

On the sweet side of spectrum are fun variations on PB&J’s, such as the Soopaman, which is made with sliced bananas, vanilla-almond granola and agave nectar.

More savory options include the Pavo Guacamole sandwich, which combines turkey, swiss cheese, mixed greens, tomatoes and spicy guacamole.

For $7.25, you get a decent sized sandwich and a few pieces of fresh sliced fruit on the side.

Because the restaurant is so small, lunch time can get crowded quickly.

Fortunately, the crowd splits between Southpaw’s Preston Center location and their second location in Uptown.