Levi’s event works to find perfect fit

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
SMU students sit to get their hair and make-up styles by professionals after being fitted for their Curve ID.

SMU students sit to get their hair and make-up styles by professionals after being fitted for their Curve ID. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Fit specialists, hairstylists, makeup artists and a DJ brought a touch of glamour on campus Wednesday at the Levi’s promotional event.

The blue jean company used the “Mirror Mirror … What’s my Curve ID?” strategy to get the word out about their unique sizing for women.

“It’s not about the size,” Sarah An, senior brand marketing manager of Levi’s, said. “It’s about the shape of your body, and that’s what we’re trying to promote.”

A year and a half ago, Levi’s announced their new fit formula called Curve ID.

The brand now offers a slight curve, demi curve, bold curve and supreme curve in women’s jeans in sizes 24-34.

To raise awareness about their many size options, Levi’s marketing team created a national tour, setting up a large white tent at universities across the nation.

Bumping music attracted students to the tent, where they could sign up to be fitted by the specialists, receive their individual Curve ID size and even get their hair and makeup done.

Once they finished making their way around the tent, participants could log on to the levis.com website to purchase their jeans at 30 percent off.

The company says their jeans will solve common problems like a too-tight waist, gaping in the back, bagging around the thighs and, for people like freshman Janice Kim, pant length.

“I have really short legs, and this pair actually fit me,” she said. “I have a really hard time finding jeans that are short enough.”

Not everyone was so lucky.

Sophomore Mi-Sun Bae said her jeans didn’t fit the way she expected.

“Maybe my body is just weird; I don’t know,” she said. “I just want to vote to get the grant!”

Bae is referring to the competition Levi’s set up in accordance with the Mirror Mirror event.

In the spirit of rivalry, they pitted SMU against Texas A&M this week for a $10,000 grant.  

The university with the most Curve ID “fits” gets the grant in the category of their choosing: academics, athletics or arts.

Bae, who is a music therapy major, said her vote would be for the arts.

Levi’s will announce the winner on their Facebook page at the end of the month.