Students should keep in mind the public nature of Facebook

Why is it that every time I log into Facebook I feel the same guilt that I experienced when reading my older sister’s diary?
Even though I have complete permission to see everything that is posted, I always get the feeling that I’m invading the privacy of my “friends.”

Beth is missing someone but doesn’t know how to say it. George is really sick of his father-in-law for not helping out with the wedding costs. Bobby Jo just found out she is unable to bear children.

Facebook users have discovered free, unlimited therapy sessions.

Just type in your problems, and instantly you are showered with encouraging words from people who would probably not even wave if they saw you in Wal-Mart. “You deserve better than him!” “Keep your head up, chica!” “What goes around comes around.”

Am I the only one who squirms when reading the deepest thoughts of my past teachers, coworkers, and friends’ mothers? Social media has made us abandon all sense of privacy. At this point, anything goes! Public arguments, foul language, last night’s pictures, and what is currently being smoked are all socially acceptable.

It’s almost as if we see social media sites as an escape from reality. We type with the approach that we are in a safe environment where we will not be held accountable for outrageous comments. Unfortunately, Facebook is not World of Warcraft. There are no screen names or fictional scenarios to hide behind.

Beside each comment, status, and tweet there is a real name and a real face. A real person, who is more than likely hoping to be employed or stay employed.

As college students, we are in serious need of reevaluating appropriate internet behavior. An easy rule of thumb would be to not say anything that you would hesitate to tell your grandparents.

Posting pictures where more than 80 percent of your skin is showing is also a danger zone. Talking about your relationship problems as if only your best friend were listening is never a good idea. Complaining about your job is actually a terrific strategy if you can’t work up the courage to quit.

My personal favorite is vaguely talking trash about someone and believing that it is acceptable if no names are used. Get real. Everyone knows who you’re talking about.

To make this simple: think. Before clicking “send,” take a moment to make sure that your comment does not have the potential to be hurtful, embarrassing, or vulgar. If you can’t say something appropriate, don’t say anything at all.

Trevor is a sophomore majoring in journalism.