The Daily Campus endorses…

Candidates for Student Body Officer positions debate Tuesday in the Hughes-Trigg Commons. From left to right
SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus

Candidates for Student Body Officer positions debate Tuesday in the Hughes-Trigg Commons. From left to right (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

The Daily Campus Editorial Board interviewed all but one candidate in the Student Body Officer elections between last Sunday and Monday.
Secretary Candidate Austin Poynter did not respond to interview requests and therefore was not considered in the Editorial Board’s endorsements.
Each candidate was given 15 minutes with the Editorial Board to speak about his or her platforms and to answer questions from the Board.
Members Nat French and Lisa Collins could not attend interviews and deliberations due to scheduling conflicts. Member Stephen Lu took part in Sunday activities, but could not participate in Monday activities due to a scheduling conflict. Member Jessica Huseman, who is a Student Senator, removed herself and took no part in any activities.

Student Body President
The Daily Campus endorses Derek Hubbard for Student Body President in a 4-0 vote. Hubbard has identified and plans to focus on three areas: Academic Life, Community Life and Student Life. Within all of these areas, Hubbard plans to address issues which affect every SMU student and that can be attained during his term as Student Body President. His hands-on leadership and preparedness show that his promises won’t go unkept because he simply did not put in the work. Hubbard is active is on the SMU campus, having served in Student Senate, Student Foundation, the Beta Theta Pi fraternity and the Hilltop Ambassador program. During this time he has cultivated impressive connections with SMU administrators and officials, with whom he will be working closely as Student Body President.

Student Body Vice President
The Daily Campus recommends Alex Ehmke for Student Body Vice President in a 3-1 vote. Several candidates left good impressions with the Editorial Board, but Ehmke stood out for many reasons. Ehmke has served in Senate both as a senator and as a member of the Executive Board as Chief of Staff. This will help him as Vice President because he will be able to navigate the rules and expectations of Senate to accomplish his goals. Furthermore, Ehmke has authored several pieces of legislation during his time in Senate including bills on textbook prices, Peruna and parking. Ehmke favors full transparency and accountability in Senate. Ehmke’s goals as Vice President are not unrealistic. These include helping students with textbook prices, improving the Giddy Up service for girls who live on Sorority Row and working with Residence Life and Student Housing to improve the housing selection process. Ehmke has shown that he’ll tackle the big issues through the smaller aspects, working to make actual changes while serving as Vice President. Lastly, Ehmke is not disproportionably attached to any one group on campus. The Editorial Board feels that this shows he will work for all SMU students without showing favor to one group.

Student Body Secretary
The Daily Campus endorses Katie Perkins for Student Body Secretary in a 4-0 vote.  As Secretary, Perkins will be responsible for maintaining Senate records and will oversee the Student Code of Conduct revisions. Perkins is fully prepared for all of her responsibilities. As the current organizations chair, she already sits on the Student Code of Conduct Revision Committee. In addition, Perkins has already come up with ways to clean up and provide better records for both Student Senate and the public, including recording all meetings and using the recording as she prepares the minutes of each meeting. The Editorial Board is confident she will do a thorough job.