Fall apple season the perfect time to sample exciting new flavors

Flowers were placed at the site of the Boston Marathon to pay respect to those effected by the bombings on Tuesday April 16, 2013. Three people have died as a result of the bombings and over 170 have been reported as injured.
Courtesy of AP

Fall welcomes a selection of seasonally available apples (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

I’m something of an ingredient snob. I have no patience for store bought versions of things I can make at home. I always pick interesting varieties of produce instead of the traditional ones, which is why I’m so excited about apple season.

Now that it’s finally feeling like fall, the best varieties of apples are now available and people no longer have any excuse to stick to the boring, subpar varieties of apples so common in grocery stores. I asked a friend of mine recently what her favorite variety of apple was, and she said, “the red ones.” I’m assuming she’s talking about the Red Delicious apple, but I really hope she isn’t.

The Red Delicious is bland, boring and soft. What little flavor it has is sweet, but one-note, totally lacking complexity. Anyone who thinks this is a good apple hasn’t had any other apples. The Fuji has a similar problem. While not a terrible flavor, its boring compared to some of the better varieties. These are the most popular apples in America not because they’re particularly good, but because they’re universally available.

I urge everyone to go try some of the more interesting varieties, like the Lemonade Apple: tart, very juicy and crisp. My favorite are the tender McIntosh style apples, with a flavor unlike any other and flavors that scream autumn.

Most other apples have a similar flavor, but a relative of the Mac is instantly recognizable. If you haven’t tried one yet, I highly recommend them. They aren’t great for all cooking applications, as their soft texture means they’ll melt into nothing in a pie, but their texture is perfect for applesauce.

I’ve tried close to fifty varieties, and Red Delicious and traditional Fujis (some of the sports off of Fuji, like the Italian Kiku for example, are actually quite good) are certainly at the bottom of the list.

They might not be the case for everyone, but during the fall, there are so many options for apples. This season, includes the tiny but full flavored Lamb Abbey Pearmain, and the famous and complex English apple Cox’s Orange Pippin. Both are worth trying.

Central Market has a great stock and will give you a sample of anything you’d like in their store, which is perfect for trying and comparing the different varieties at once to find an apple truly worthy of being your favorite. Whole Foods has a unique stock of them as well, including several wonderful heirloom varieties.

Of the so-called popular varieties, the Honeycrisp is perhaps the best aside from the McIntosh, with a unique juiciness that isn’t too tart or sweet, with complex flavor notes and a memorable crunchiness as well. A very juicy apple, the crunch comes a little bit before the juice. The first bite might feel dry, but it will quickly show off its wonderful juice. Its a very good apple for cooking as well. Its crunchy texture helps it maintain its shape nicely.

I could talk about different types of apples for ages, but if your favorite varieties are among the group of Fuji, Gala, Golden or Red Delicious, Granny Smith or Pink Lady, then you probably haven’t experienced the full array of what the apple has to offer. Everyone should take the time this fall to expand their palate and find a truly amazing apple variety worthy of being a favorite.

Keene is a junior majoring in political science, economics and public policy.