Don’t fret the end of the world

You’d be much better off enjoying your time here than wondering when it will end

Earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, oh my!

With all the recent weather phenomenon, people are starting to panic. Question: Is this the end of the world as we know it. Cue the R.E.M. music.

Stocking up on water, building underground shelters and practicing safety drills are a few of the many actions people are taking to avoid utter destruction. Deep breaths, people. Get real. These things will not, we repeat will not save you from the bitter end.

Let’s be logical: We can understand trying to outsmart the end of civilization by stocking up on water bottles and a Costco economy-sized box of Twinkies (they don’t perish).

However, the end of the Earth implies that there will be no Earth, meaning no ground or air or water.  Therefore, buying these things is futile and will get you nowhere.

With movies such as “2012,” “I Am Legend,” and “The Legion” coming out, people are becoming increasingly paranoid about the potential annihilation of the current civilization. All these movie plots consist of life after the fall of modern man.

What a lonely, solitary life. Why would you want to outlive the rest of humanity? Unless you have a master plan to bring back people, like Will Smith’s character in “I Am Legend” or if you have a plan to save the rest of humanity from the destruction of society like in “2012,” outliving civilization is probably not a good idea. It is not like you can re-start humankind alone—it takes more than one, if you catch our drift.

If we are talking about the end of the actual world, there is nothing that can help. Did anyone ever take into deep consideration what will really happen when the world ends? Does the world implode? Does everything go black? Do people freeze in time?

None of these options leave room for a solution. They mean destruction. Destruction literally means to put out of existence, so how can you prepare for that?

In the wise words of the “High School Musical” cast, “We’re all in this together.” As we are told from a young age, live in the moment. Soak in the things that are here and now and stop worrying about the future. Why spend your time here worrying about the end of the world when it might not even take place in your lifetime? Not only will you come off as a crazy loon, but you’ll miss out on the finer things in life.

Samantha Cangelosi is a sophomore journalism major and Samantha Verrill is a junior journalism major. They can be reached for comment at [email protected] and [email protected], respectively.