Academy Awards unfair to less popular categories

The sound mixer works hard for little recognition. Doesn’t he deserve his moment to shine?

I’m going to assume—which is dangerous these days—that most of you watched the Oscars last Sunday.

I’m not going to comment on the unorthodox nature of having two hosts, which for the most part appeared to work, or the absence of several high-profile names at the event (Spielberg, Scorsese, etc.), or how stupid it was that the academy decided to include Michael Jackson in the “In Memoriam” segment but not Farrah Fawcett, who had far greater reason to be there than he did, or even how horrible Miley Cyrus’s performance was (hint: It was very).

I’m certainly not going to touch that whole “Kanye moment” that happened during the Best Documentary speech, as I don’t feel nearly qualified enough to comment on that.

No, what I’m going to comment on is an observation I’ve made for several years now, and I consider it a big problem: when multiple people win an Oscar for any given category.

Surely you’ve noticed what happens when they come up for their acceptance speech. The first guy will give a hearty thanks to all his friends, family and whomever else and when the second guy comes up, that darn music starts. You know the kind I mean, the “You’re out of time, get the hell off the stage, we’re moving on” music.

I hardly think it’s fair that anyone who goes second (or third) most likely will not get to talk. A lot of these people are in positions that get virtually no recognition by the public. The only prestige they have is all within the industry.

For example, how many people know what a sound mixer does, or how significant he is to a production? The answer is very few, unfortunately.

For the most part, people only care about the big-name stars. So, for the most part, this one night is the lesser-knowns’ only time, their moment in the spotlight, where for five minutes, regular people care about their work. And then that moment is taken away from them when they are kicked off before they get to talk.

I understand that the academy has only so much time to televise the event, and I appreciate the need to move it along, but there seems to be a rather unfair distribution of speech time allotment; everyone but the Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Director winners get screwed at the podium. The academy waits until the very end before it gives those big three a bajillion minutes to say whatever they want to say, for no other reason than that those are the people that the public is interested in seeing.

It’s an unfair system, and it denies many unsung heroes of the film industry their moment of glory in the public eye.

Trey Treviño is a sophomore CTV major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].