Is Hilltop Glossy friend or foe?

It is no mystery that here at SMU we have the reputation of being materialistic. I know that one of the biggest cons on young seniors in high school minds is whether they want to be around the type of people at “Southern Millionaire University.” This is why I wondered why our school has this reputation. Just walking around campus you can see that people here are blessed with having very nice things. But people have nice things on many campuses.

There can only be one reason as to why SMU is so highly publicized for its high maintenance students. Our students love to draw attention to it. The website smuglossy.wordpress.com is an example of this attention. It captures students in their everyday life on the Boulevard. “I felt so stylish when I showed up on there!” my roommate Erica Penunuri beamed. Most of the clothes being worn are high-end brands. And the reality is that being so glamorous just walking to class is exactly the kind of thing our school is criticized for.

“Our school is like a red carpet, everyone is always trying to impress everyone else,” sophomore Maddy Rohde said. I do think the idea of this site is great, but I think that the message it sends is only highlighting our school’s negative aspects. We need to kick off our Tory Burch shoes and loosen up a little.

Frannie Lupo is a sophomore communications studies major. She can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].