Fashion’s Night Out: what to expect this year

The+runways+will+be+filled+with+designers%E2%80%99+new+styles+that+have+inspired+fall%E2%80%99s+new+trends.+
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
The runways will be filled with designers’ new styles that have inspired fall’s new trends.

The runways will be filled with designers’ new styles that have inspired fall’s new trends. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

This Thursday Sept. 6 will kick off the fourth annual Fashion’s Night Out (FNO). FNO is the time to celebrate fashion, and there is no better place to do so than in this fashion-forward city. FNO is coming to Dallas, where locals and SMU’s fashion-lovers can attend.

FNO was created by the combined efforts of American Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, NYC & Company, and the City of New York in 2009.

The aim was to bring people together who shared a similar interest and love for fashion in preparation for the upcoming shopping season. Fall is fashion’s biggest season, so gear up to get a whole lot of insight into the world of style and trends of 2012.

Pre-Party

From 4 to 6 p.m. on Thursday, Movida Boutique in Mockingbird Station will host an “Early Bird Fashion Fete” to celebrate FNO. They will offer complimentary makeup touchups, champagne, cupcakes and live music, along withits very own fashion show.

Main Event

Highland Park Village, NorthPark Center and Galleria Dallas will be hosting some of the hottest FNO events.

All are known for their high-fashion retail stores and presence of some of the greatest fashion designers.

They are welcoming locals to in-store private parties, runway shows, designer and guest appearances, live music, food and other fun promotions.

Participating stores at NorthPark include Michael Kors, Neiman Marcus, Stuart Weitzman and Sephora, to name a few.

The mall will be filled with beauty stations that offer product demos and mini makeovers, and there will be treats and champagne along with other FNO goodies.

Chanel, Diane Von Furstenberg, Escada and Harry Winston, among others, will be hosting events at each of their stores in Highland Park Village. Both events begin at 6 p.m.

Starting at 5 p.m., Galleria Dallas’ stores will have in-store promotions and events. Participants include J. Crew, Nordstrom and Louis Vuitton.

FNO gives attendees the opportunity to see new fashion in action. Models will be strutting down the multiple runways at NorthPark, Highland Park Village and Galleria Dallas where designers will debut their most recent styles.

Runway shows at Highland Park Village will take place at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m., and NorthPark Center’s will be at 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m.

At Galleria Dallas, runway shows will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. and then at 7:45 p.m. where a quarter-mile runway, the longest in North America, will compliment the abundance of designers and trends.

Looking for a more personal experience? From 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., Stanley Korshak’s contemporary boutique, The Shak, will offer the opportunity for shoppers to style themselves by picking out jewelry, shoes and accessories of their choice.

Makeup artists will complete your look, and a photographer will snap your shot before you’re judged by a panel of local fashion bloggers. This event will benefit the non-profit, Family Place.

Or, if you are interested in something a little more casual, head over to Forty Five Ten, a great store to shop for designer labels.

They invite you to mix and mingle while cocktails and hors d’oeuvres are passed around.

Many of the stores involved will not only be hosting parties in lieu of celebrating fashion, but will also be supporting philanthropies. Retailers have partnered with certain charities and will be giving them a portion of the proceeds from that night’s sales.

After-Party

Still yearning for more? The House of Blues will be hosting “The After Party,” where FNO themed cocktails and hors d’oeuvres will be served “The After Party” will start at 10 p.m. and go until 2 a.m.