Votes for the losing candidate still matter

My last article stated that even if you’re not voting with the majority of your state your ballot still counts in the local elections. Today, I’m rewording my opinion.

History will be made tomorrow as we all vote for the next president of the United States. What a huge deal.

As I’ve previously stated, my father is running for local office and I cannot wait to go home tomorrow to support him as he embarks on this magnificent journey as (hopefully) a new district judge. But I’m also excited to cast my ballot for the president.

My family has always been politically active not only through local politics, but through the act of voting as well. I can’t remember an election where every member of my family hasn’t gone to the polls on Nov. 6 or voted in the early voting period.
My paternal great-grandparents, before they died, always had a picture of the current president in their home. It didn’t matter if the President was a Democrat or Republican, or if they voted for him or not. They supported the leader of our country, and I plan to do the same even if the candidate I want to win pulls through at the national level.

Even so, I have a candidate in mind who I want to see in office for the next four years. I was a bit concerned, however, while trying to decide for whom to cast my vote. Not only was I concerned for the significance of my ballot, but for my friends who may not vote the same way the majority of their state votes for the national elections.

I spoke with my father about it, and he provided me with some incredible insight. If you’re voting against the majority in your state, don’t feel like your ballot doesn’t count. I have several friends from California who have complained about the political makeup of their state. They are Mitt Romney supporters, but California will most likely go “blue” just as it has in elections past.

However, those who vote Republican will still be a part of the opposing percentage of popular votes. Those votes, which stand against the majority, say to the winning candidate that not everyone supports their views, policies and outlook on the country’s future.

Every person who does not vote for the majority candidate in their state expresses their opposing opinion through the popular vote. A good president will see this and remember that these people do not agree with him or her.

Although this may be optimistic, I have hope that our next leader will take these votes into consideration while making decisions for our country.

Furthermore, no matter who is elected on Nov. 6, I will try my very hardest to support that candidate throughout the next four years as our country’s leaders continue to lead us through a war, economic crisis and social issues.

I will express my opinion at the polls, even if it does not coincide with the majority of people in my state. (But who says it doesn’t?)

I not only encourage you to do the same, but think about the strength of one ballot, and go out and vote.

Graves is a junior majoring in communications and religious studies. He can be reached for comment at [email protected]