Top-seeded Mustangs knocked out of C-USA tournament, look for NCAA bid

Courtesy of SMU Athletics
Keena Mays in the 76-56 win over Lousiana-Monroe Dec. 17 in Moody Coliseum. Mays scored 23 points.

Keena Mays in the 76-56 win over Lousiana-Monroe Dec. 17 in Moody Coliseum. Mays scored 23 points. (Courtesy of SMU Athletics)

In an unlikely turn of events, the Lady Mustangs (21-9) were ousted from the Conference USA tournament on Thursday afternoon in Tulsa, as the eighth-seeded UCF Knights (15-17) toppled the regular-season C-USA champion Mustangs, 70-66.

The Mustangs had a seven-point lead with 9:30 left in regulation, but the Knights were able to make a 9-0 run over the next three minutes to take the lead for the first time in the second half.

The Knights never trailed again in route to the upset.

UCF was led by three players in double figures. Sara Djassi, Gevenia Carter and C-USA freshman of the year Briahanna Jackson led the way for the Knights with 15, 20 and 18 points respectively.

Jackson, who was 6-17 from the field for the game, hit two clutch three-pointers down the stretch to help the Knights take the lead.

SMU was able to tie the game four different times down the stretch, but every time the Mustangs made a run, the Knights countered back with one of their own.

UCF broke a 62-62 tie with just over three minutes left when Jackson hit a jumper. The freshman phenom also hit 4-6 free throws in the final 33 seconds.

The Mustangs, who turned the ball over 18 times, were led by Conference player of the Year Keena Mays’ 15 points.

Mays, however, was just 1-8 from the field in the second half and shot just over 27 percent for the game.

SMU did have four players score in double figures, including another double-double for senior Alisha Filmore with 12 points and 12 rebounds, but were plagued by poor shooting in the second half.

The Mustangs were 10-19 (52.6 percent) from the field in the first half but shot just 13-35 (37.1 percent) in the second half.

UCF, meanwhile, shot 11-29 (37.9 percent) from the field in the first half and 15-33 (45.5 percent) in the second half.

The Knights’ 14 offensive rebounds allowed UCF to take eight more shots than the Mustangs, which in the end helped them take down the top-seeded Mustangs.

Despite winning 10 straight games and claiming the Conference regular season title, the Mustangs lost five of their final eight games, which could put their tournament hopes in jeopardy.

If the Mustangs do not receive an at-large bid from the NCAA Tournament, they will receive an automatic bid from the NIT because of their regular season performance.