One body, one mind: now is the time for students and senators to work together

Where much is given much is definitely expected, so it would be false if I said Student Senate was perfect and there was no room for improvement.

However, to say that senators fail to represent their constituents seems far-fetched, unfair and a lie. Attending weekly meetings, hosting office hours and sitting on Senate committees happen to be a select few of the ways we actively spread the voice of the student body.

When I vote, whether it be to charter an organization or to pass legislation, I make sure that it is in line with our by laws, governing documents and code of conduct, but most importantly, I always consider the viewpoints and opinions of my constituents. My job includes representing my constituents in the most positive light possible while making sure their concerns are heard and met.

I am not in Senate to serve my own self-interest; however, I was elected to be the voice for all of Meadows.

Disconnect typically tends to not be one-sided and is normally caused by multiple reasons. I am one student selected to serve about 300 students, so it becomes almost impossible to personally reach out to each and every one of them.

I love what I do and I am passionate about Senate and the effect it has on this campus, but I do not know of many students who are not involved with Senate who feel the same.

Many students do not know the important impact Student Senate has on this campus. Besides getting chartered status or trying to receive funding, most students never come in contact with senators or chair members. We constantly ask people to come to speakers’ podium or share their concerns at town hall meetings, and each time we end up with little or no response from the student body.

On several occasions students have even complained about receiving the weekly minutes of each meeting, which serves to give a breakdown of exactly what happened during our meeting.

Again, I am not putting the blame on the students of SMU; however, I am simply stating that there needs to be more of a give and take relationship between senators and their constituents.

I do not agree with the idea of senators showing all sorts of concern for the body they serve during election time in order to get votes. I believe that election time should set the precedence of what the student body can expect for the year to come.

As senators, we should make sure that we keep the same attitude and enthusiasm we previously displayed throughout our entire term in senate.

There is no reason why any student on SMU’s campus should not know who represents him or her. The senators and the students should make it their priority to know who they will serve in the fall as well as what individual to elect on their behalf.

The time is now for SMU as a whole to simply acknowledge our mistakes and begin to fix them. You have to become the change you want to see in the world, meaning if you perceive a problem, it is up to you to solve it.

We spend too much time relaxing and not reacting. Together we can unite as one force and take our campus back. Senators, get to know who you represent and what they want from you, and students, it is time you ask more questions and expect more than just a shiny poster with red and blue.

Let your voice truly be heard.

We have both worked together to create a problem of disconnect, but today I challenge each and every one of you to work together so that we can become unified as one.

We all bleed red and blue, so SMU, lets come together and pony up this campus.

Shana Ray is a sophomore communications studies major. She is also a Meadows Senator. She can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].