Alcoholism causes pain and suffering for all

No student on SMU’s campus is unaware of the presence of alcohol in the college life.

Arguably, all of us know someone who consumes alcohol at least once a month, and most of us have seen the repercussions of a drunken night.

People use alcohol to relieve stress, as a social lubricant and many genuinely enjoy tasting different flavors of fine whisky and wine. We must remember, however, that alcohol is indeed a drug and excessive use can destroy one’s life.

Alcoholism is no longer taboo in our society. People make open references to excessive drinking in literature and music, as well as in conversation about parties and “last night.” What many don’t hear is the side that hurts the most.

People rarely openly discuss alcoholism when a family member is involved. Excessive drinking becomes a “Southern tradition.”

The comical idea that Momma always keeps a bottle of wine on the counter and Valium in the cabinet becomes all too real for many.

Daddy’s nightly drink of Scotch becomes a three-a-day happening.

Brother’s late-night adventures turn into drunk-driving nightmares.

Your best friend stops coming over because she can’t drink at your house.

All of these situations may seem like extreme, imaginative stories to some, but to many, they are memories.

Six of nine of what I would consider my immediate family members have struggled with excessive alcohol use at some point in their lives.

You don’t think alcohol is a problem when you have to help your roommate into bed once or twice, but it changes when that friend becomes your mother, father, uncle or grandmother.

Alcohol’s glamor changes when it rips your family in two.

Sure, it’s fun to go out and have a few drinks with your friends. If you assign a designated driver, are of age, and carefully monitor how many drinks you are having, alcohol can be virtually harmless. But we all have to keep ourselves, and our peers in check.

I never thought that I would have to start planning interventions for my hero. The first time I had to carry my best friend into her bed, I thought the cycle would never end. I questioned how I could have stopped it. I blamed myself for her consuming addiction.

Not only did my friend’s alcoholism begin to ruin her life, it broke our relationship apart.

Thankfully, things changed, but the disease (yes, disease), still resides in her. She will never be able to break it. Each glass of wine after recovery is a step in the wrong direction. Each drink brings her back to the darkest time of her life.

I encourage all of us to look for the signs of dependence, emotional satisfaction, and excessive use of alcohol in ourselves and others.

If you have to intervene, I should warn you that your friend may hate you for a while. My best friend fought with me to leave it alone. But if I did nothing, who else would?

The pain of temporary rejection is worth the life that you save in the end.

Michael Graves is a first year religious studies and communications studies double major. He can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].