LGBT seat can corrode Senate

A proposal has been set to establish a permanent LGBT seat in the Student Senate. To the LGBT community, this may seem like a good idea, always having a voice in the Senate, always having a vote on current bills that may affect your group. But in reality, why should the rest of the SMU community be forced to have a LGBT view on every bill it wants to pass.

Student congress is for elected students to develop the school as they campaigned; they are not guaranteed positions because of their views, race or religion.

So, why should the LGBT community have the benefit of political immunity at our school?

This could cause corruption among people who might want a bill passed to give “favors” or “gifts” to the LGBT community, knowing that if they keep the LGBT community happy, they will always have that vote in the Senate because their seat is guaranteed.

“Absolute power corrupts absolutely,” as Julius Cesar put it, could you imagine if one of America’s political parties had permanent seats in Congress? They would never be held accountable for their views or votes and would eventually seek the greatest benefit from their divine seat by selling their vote to the highest bidder.

If the LGBT community is voted a seat in the Senate, then I demand we have a seat for all Italians on campus since we’re a white minority on campus. And I know all of the girls on cheer squad are going to want their voices heard, so let’s add a cheer seat. And how about an animal rights seat, we can’t forget to represent the SMU squirrels.

I’m being sarcastic, but the point I’m making is that by allowing this seat today, we are opening the door to every organization on campus having a permanent seat in the Senate and the ensuing chaos afterward.

Aleksander Bologna is a first year political science major. He can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].